cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG582n FTTC Remote Assistance Problem

rlolachi

TG582n FTTC Remote Assistance Problem

I turn on the Remote Assistance option for the Technicolor TG582n using the web user interface and cannot connect to the router. Every time I get some kind of error; it takes a while attempting to connect and then in Opera it says "Connection Closed by remote server", in Chrome it says "Cannot load page". The odd thing is that when I have the service enabled and check whether the remote assistance port is open it is listed as open by http://www.canyouseeme.org/. Additionally I can ping the router (when allowed on WAN interface). 
Any ideas on what is going on or if I'm doing something wrong?
Thanks in advance.
P.S. My Plusnet firewall is off, but I haven't toggled it.
12 REPLIES 12
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: TG582n FTTC Remote Assistance Problem

Hi there,
Just wondering, are you trying to connect whilst on the router's network? That might be why, if it works when you're somewhere else or perhaps from your mobile whilst connected to its 3g (rather than wifi) if you have one?
Not sure why this happens but it's similar for me - I have a domain name pointed to my IP but I can't use it if I'm actually inside the network (if anyone has a solution for that I'd love to know what it is :D)
Just a thought, hope it helps.
rlolachi

Thanks for that, I have tried connecting from outside the network and had the same problem.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Matt
Not sure why this happens but it's similar for me - I have a domain name pointed to my IP but I can't use it if I'm actually inside the network (if anyone has a solution for that I'd love to know what it is :D)

That sounds like a loop-back problem on the WAN interface, though you probably know that Roll_eyes
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I guess so, but it's been the case with the official D-Link firmware and also the current DD-WRT that's running on it. I wondered if it was me not naming machines on the network properly, but aside from that haven't got a clue what I'd do to sort it 😕
@rlolachi Sorry about that, not sure what to suggest then 😕 Unfortunately I don't have a Thomson router so can't test. I'll see if we can check on it in the office here, we've got one or two kicking about that we could test.
Bright
Grafter

@rlolachi
I'm sure you know this already, but turning on remote assistance and having the firewall off sounds like an open invitation to every hacker on the internet  Wink
Are you trying to use remote assistance to achieve something in particular?
(sorry, I don't have a solution, but your post had me worried about your network security...)
rlolachi

@Bright
Thanks for the concern but it's only the Plusnet firewall that's turned off (at ISP level), not the firewall on my router.
Bright
Grafter

Ah ok. That's a relief - had me worried! The network firewall is off by default.
rlolachi

BUMP - As I've not heard anything from anybody in a while and the problem remains.
@ Matt: Did you ever find other routers to test as I've not heard back from you.
apjashley1
Grafter

The remote assistance feature in the GUI doesn't work as you're expecting it to. If you want to access the router's interface from a computer outside your home network, you can turn that feature on using a telnet commend. however I find the remote session to be hit-and-miss, sometimes it will loop back to the login page as soon as you submit your password.
EDIT: I am talking about using the commends npr posted below Smiley
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Why not use remote access instead?
http://npr.me.uk/remote.html
rlolachi

Thank you very much! That works beautifully.
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Glad it helped  Cheesy