Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG582n ADSL firmware 10.2.5.2.FO / Enable switch port 4

supertux
Dabbler
Fixes: 2

TG582n ADSL firmware 10.2.5.2.FO / Enable switch port 4

I've upgraded the firmware on my TG582n to 10.2.5.2.FO (from EO) but it looks like ethernet port 4 on the router has now been disabled after the upgrade. As I'm using ADSL and not fibre, port 4 is not being used for the fibre connection - the upgrade seemed to indicate that port 4 would be available after upgrade but it's not. Can someone please advise on how I get this port re-enabled ? I've had a look in the CLI to reenable the port and set a bridge up but I'm struggling in getting the syntax right.
7 REPLIES 7
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: TG582n ADSL firmware 10.2.5.2.FO / Enable switch port 4

I did notice there were a some differences related to ethport4 in the saved config file from 10.2.2.B and 10.2.5.2 FO re-configured for ADSL mode.
10.2.2.B had these, which are absent in the 10.2.5.2 config, and probably need adding back:
[ bridge.ini ]
ifadd brname=bridge intf=ethport4 dest=ethif4 logging=disabled
ifconfig brname=bridge intf=ethport4 wan=disabled logging=disabled
ifattach brname=bridge intf=ethport4 logging=disabled
[ igmpsnooping.ini ]
ifconfig brname=bridge intf=ethport4 portmode=Auto fastleave=disabled exptrack=disabled mrdp=enabled rgmp=disabled

Those aren't the whole bridge.ini and igmpsnooping.ini sections, I'm just showing the missing lines.
You could save the config from 10.2.5.2 to a file, find all the lines related to ethport3, and copy them and change all the 3s in them to 4s.
Also, the 10.2.5.2 FO config had this, which probably needs removing:
[ eth.ini ]
device ifconfig intf=ethif4 state=disabled type=100BaseTFD

The eth.ini section from the 10.2.2.B config file is empty.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Why are you using the FTTC release and not 10.2.2.B which is the latest ADSL release?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
supertux
Dabbler

@ejs. That config worked a treat. A quick type at the CLI and my ethport 4 is now working again. Thanks for your help. This can be marked as solved.
@jelv: I've been having some issues with powerline adapters and connectivity to the router, particularly DHCP requests - thought I'd give a firmware upgrade a go to see if that helped. It appears to have done the trick.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Which firmware were you on when you had the DHCP issues?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@superlux
That's very interesting. I have yet to try the FO version, currently using EO.  HOWEVER does your TG582n have a USB port?
10.2.2.B firmware is for the variant without the USB port (please note the difference jelv)
If you have an ADSL variant with a USB port (8.4.4.J) then 10.2.5.2.EO is the correct upgrade from 8.4.4.J.
10.2.2.B does not play at all nicely on the variant with a USB socket, speaking directly from experience, as it's supposedly just for the variant without a USB port.
@ejs
Well spotted but......
My config for 10.2.5.2.EO (ADSL setup) has the following lines in it - without any extra editing (I assume you got all the above from the ADSL setup not FTTC setup).
[ igmpsnooping.ini ]
ifconfig brname=bridge intf=ethport4 portmode=Auto fastleave=disabled exptrack=disabled mrdp=enabled rgmp=disabled
[ bridge.ini ]
ifadd brname=bridge intf=ethport4 dest=ethif4 logging=disabled
ifconfig brname=bridge intf=ethport4 wan=disabled logging=disabled
ifattach brname=bridge intf=ethport4 logging=disabled
And those are the only entries relating to ethport4, similarly for ethports 2 & 3
However when it comes to ethport1 there is a similar entry in [ igmpsnooping.ini ]
but in [ bridge.ini ] there is only
ifconfig brname=bridge intf=ethport1 wan=disabled logging=disabled
there is no ifadd or ifattach entries.
Also [eth.ini] is empty.
The above is also true for 8.4.4.J ; 8.4.4.I ; 10.2.2.B.
Now as I haven't been using port 1, I don't know what effect this will have - I shall try it when I've posted this.
(edit:  I suppose it just means ethport 1 isn't configurable in the same way as the others may be, as it's permanently "added" & "attached" elsewhere in the firmware.)
@superlux
Could you please explain in more detail exactly what issues you were having with DHCP requests?
supertux
Dabbler

The firmware release I was on prior to FO was EO and my router doesn't have a USB port. I decided to give FO a try as I was aware that although this release is meant for fibre connections, it does have ADSL fallback. I mainly use Linux over ethernet cable and the network issues I was getting were to do with obtaining a link over Devolo 200AVEasy powerline adaptors - IP configuration in various Linux distros were failing to either obtain a DHCP or static address (either through NetworkManager, dhclient or ifconfig). The issue also affected a Samsung TV and Sky+ box connected directly via cable into the switch ports (so I discounted the Powerline adaptors as a root cause). Wireless connectivity/IP assignment did not appear to be affected.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

What firmware were you on before you tried 10.2.5.2.EO?
10.2.2.B is the correct firmware for the variant without the USB socket, have you tried that at all?