Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG582N v Billion 7800 router

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

TG582N v Billion 7800 router

There is a tendency to rubbish any ISP's 'free' router. Not being techie like thousands of broadband users, I used the Technicolor TG582N supplied when I joined Plusnet in 2014 and had no problems whatever, finding 11MB completely adequate for all my BB needs. However, the experts say the TG582N is pretty basic with limited capabilities, silly flashing lights and no wifi aerial, so I splashed £80 odd on a Billion 7800.
And you know what? There's not a byte of difference. The speed is just the same, the radio just as bad (wifi in next room only because we have concrete walls) so we still use our Devolo extenders. The only benefit I can see is that the Billion runs much cooler. If you're stuck with ADSL2 as we are, save your money and enjoy your 'free' TG582  Smiley
8 REPLIES 8
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: TG582N v Billion 7800 router

Shame you are £80 out of pocket to gain that experience.  Sad
Did you by chance use any software to inspect the wifi spectrum before buying the router?  InSSIDer and Acrylic analyser are tools which show the wifi stations near by, their channels and strength so that you can determine which channel is best for you.  Even with the TG582n selecting the best channel can have a dramatic impact on wifi performance.
Reenforced concrete walls are going to act somewhat like a faraday cage!  Shocked
Devolo extenders: are you using the wifi variant?  If yes, have you set the channel of the Devolo AP to be the same as the router or different?  I have mine set at the opposite ends of the spectrum, using the same SSID and pass phrase, with the consequence that devices can freely and seamlessly roam between the two APs.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Hi,
Out of interest what speed is your line?  I'm after a cheap router just for temporary use, but it needs to work OK on a long line.  Coincidentally I was considering exactly those two routers as both are available pretty cheap second hand, and both are supported by third-party monitoring software which is the feature that I specifically need.    The 582N is much cheaper, but I've not seen any particular comments about the performance of it's DSL modem particularly on long lines.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Tony,
The TG582n 10.2.2.B version of the firmware is rather good on xDSL operation.  What's the line's attenuation?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

aesmith
Pro

Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear.  Attenuation is 57dB or slightly less depending on which router your believe.  I've actually managed to borrow a 582N, so assuming it's not faulty I can give it a go this weekend.  Firmware version is 10.2.5.2.  I think we received it for our backup DSL here at the office, so surplus to requirements.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Do I take it that is not a PN router?
I trust that it is an ADSL version?

aesmith
Pro

It's Plusnet, branded, supplied for FTTC to go with an Openreach modem (so PPPoE).  I've changed it to ADSL but can't test that it works yet.  I've grabbed the  10.2.2.B ADSL firmware just in case it needs to be reverted.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Apparently the 10.2.2.B firmware, which is intended for models without a USB port, does not work properly if installed on a model that does have a USB port. The earliest ones supplied for ADSL have a USB port, later ones supplied for ADSL don't, and I think all the ones supplied for FTTC do have a USB port.
Ethernet port 4 might not function as a LAN port after switching it to ADSL mode, if it has the 10.2.5.2 FO firmware. Old thread on that subject. I think that's the only caveat about using the FTTC firmware in ADSL mode.
Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Yes, I do use Inssider but find no conflicts, helps to have a large garden with 50m min to neighbours' houses. I wandered around with a laptop to prove that wifi won't work through our walls whatever the router! Thanks for the common SSID tip, will have a go at this to prevent iPads from locking onto the router which apparently is an Apple trait.
AES, our line is 3km long with 31.5 atten down and we get around 11mb on ADSL2+