Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG582N power reduction

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

TG582N power reduction

I notice the TG582N interface Home > Home Network > Interfaces > WLAN: PlusnetWireless has a checkbox marked Power reduction. If this is unchecked does the router produce a stronger signal? With the default reduced power I need powerline extenders to reach end rooms of our house which has walls of solid concrete. I suppose increased power would send the signal into the street? Extended system works fine, I'm just curious.
5 REPLIES 5
mwarby
Grafter

Re: TG582N power reduction

Any power increase will tend to extend the signal in all directions, you can get different antennas which are more or less directional
It's worth bearing in mind that the other devices have to be able to send a strong enough signal back to the router, a one way wireless link won't work
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

That feature is about reducing power consumption when no wireless devices are connected to the 582n. It should not affect the strength of wireless signal output when devices are using the wireless.
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Most old routers are able to run DD-WRT which will allow you to run a seperate AP with better control over your wifi, most of the old cable routers only cost about a fiver, well worth a look. I have 2, they work a treat, features below.

Happy Days...
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Forum member NPR has produced a very useful guide to telnet commands for Thompson/Technicolour routers - see 'Wireless n tweaks' for the TG582n.
Not tried them myself so don't know how much of a difference they make.
http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html#
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Only marginally increase the wifi speed, will not improve range.