Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG582N Static IPs

Mav
Fixes: 515

TG582N Static IPs

I have several devices connected to the router as follows:
1 PC, Smart TV & YouView box via Ethernet
1PC, 2 x Laptops, 2 mobile phones & HP printer wirelessly.
I have set each device explicitly with IPs from 64 through to 72 and I want each to remain using the same IP which, in theory, should be OK.
I see that some devices in e.g Home > Home Network > Devices > Device 1 show Always use the same IP address: Yes but the others don't have that but show IP Address Assignment: Static.
I can't see rhyme or reason for this as it doesn't appear to be just the Ethernet connected being, say, Static, it seems to be a mix and match.
What I want is that should one of the devices be turned off when someone visits and wants temporary internet access it's IP won't be re-allocated causing possible conflicts when turned back on - does that make sense?
How do I ensure that with this router? Never been a worry before but with more devices coming into use I want to keep full control.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

8 REPLIES 8
WWWombat
Grafter

Re: TG582N Static IPs

On my TG585, I set the DHCP server to give out address in the range 200 - 249, and then I manually allocate static addresses outside that range.
The page to do that can be found at "Home > Home Network > Interfaces > LocalNetwork" on that router.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
Mav

If I understand you correctly, as I've already allocated IPs in the range of 64 to 72 I can set the DHCP to give out IP from a higher range like you have done?
Referencing the screen shot how do I go about doing just that?
Thanks for your help.
Ediyt: Do I delete from the IP Address section 192.168.1.254/24 then add the range I need?

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

It appears you do not have the option to edit the DHCP pool.
I do not give devices a fixed IP address but assign the same IP address against the MAC address using the devices menu.
If you wear strong underpants you could backup the current config and using notepad edit the DHCP starting IP address.
Look for text LocalNetwork poolstart=192.168.1.64 and change to read 192.168.1.200 (my choice). Then restore the config to the device.
Before making any changes to the backup file PLEASE make a copy. So if the restore of the modified config goes wrong you can restore the original.
There may also be an option to do via the CLI but not got time to work that one out.
Dan.
WWWombat
Grafter

Agreed - it doesn't look like you get the option to change the range. In my older router I have an "edit" link at the end of the line for the LAN_private entry.
The CLI might be an option, but someone else will have to tell you how to do that. Or the option mentioned by Dan the Van.
Or, leave the router alone, and use static IPs below 64, so you don't conflict with the DHCP pool.
Plusnet Customer
Mav

Quote from: WWWombat
...and use static IPs below 64, so you don't conflict with the DHCP pool.

Should have done that to start with.
May make that change in the next couple of days. Is their a lower range I should avoid or is anything from 0 to 64 acceptable?

Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Unless its a feature of this router, using 1 too 63 should be fine.  But so far not liking its web user interface so far, if not for this thread I wouldn't have found out How to disable DCHP, as everything on my Lan has fixed IP's.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
WWWombat
Grafter

You can't use 0, and it is probably best to avoid 1 (in case you change router to one that defaults to this).
Gus' solution is also possible - just disable DHCP, and allocate everything statically. Not the best if you bring mobile devices onto the WAN though...
Plusnet Customer
Mav

Appreciate all the advice.
I don't want to disable DHCP so will allocate in the lower ranges but above 1.
Thanks again.