cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG582 router problem & now line speed 0.25 Mb

m063
Grafter

TG582 router problem & now line speed 0.25 Mb

A neighbour (one of my referrals) was having connectivity problems today. Window 10 laptop (ethernet connection to TG582 router) was showing internet connectivity but Microsoft Edge couldn't access any pages.

Restarted laptop - no change, then restarted router. Got access to some web pages for a couple of minutes then couldn't access anything again.

Looked at logs on router, saw the restart with sync 5432 then a couple of minutes later another sync with 288.

Restarted router again, at which point ethernet didn't work at all and wi-fi light was showing red.

Used a different router, all now working but painfully slow. Plusnet Member Centre showing current speed 0.25 Mb.

We'll order a replacement router tomorrow. I don't think its a good idea to reinstall the failing TG582, even though it now seems OK after a reset.

Presumably there was some catastrophic error in the TG582 which caused significant problems on the line. Possibly not helped by my restarting router a couple of times. Or could it be that we had a significant problem on the line which caused the TG582 to crash?

Should I expect that the line speed should just recover over a few days, or should we log a Plusnet fault?

4 REPLIES 4
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: TG582 router problem & now line speed 0.25 Mb

Whether it recovers and the timescales for this will depend on if the line is banded or not. If you can PM me their username I'll test the line and see what I can find.

Please send me a private message

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
m063
Grafter

PM sent. Thanks

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

That's great, thanks.

I've tested the line and it's showing as both the upload and download are connecting very low. Can you ask your neighbour to run through the troubleshooting (ensuring they are in the master/test socket): http://www.plus.net/support/phone/troubleshooting.shtml

After that I'd advise getting this reported to us as a fault at https://faults.plus.net

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
m063
Grafter

Hi Chris,

Line appears to have recovered, old router (Linksys AG241 now sync rate 5762).

Unfortunately, even though devices now show internet access is active, internet access very intermittent.

Particularly, can't get to trouble shooting pages. I can obviously provide them with a printout if needed.

We've decided to get replacement router first. Customer will phone support (may be doing so already).

Could I ask you to put a note on the account so that support is aware of the background?

Thanks