cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG 582n Ping Time -v- DrayTek 120 Ping Time

Anonymous
Not applicable

TG 582n Ping Time -v- DrayTek 120 Ping Time

As some of you may know I'm having an issue with my second ADSL line. I was asked to leave the connection running having reported the fault but when connected to my load balancer it was causing issues, so I removed it and connected the TG 582n PN provided in stand alone mode. Not giving it much thought I left it, then later when I checked the TBB ping graphs I noticed that the ping was 43ms, compared to its 'normal' 37ms, with a speed test capped at under 2Mb/ps, I also noticed there were now no errors showing (from the capping) so thinking I could make use of the 'extra' 2Mb bandwidth I reconnected my DrayTek Vigor (v2) 120. After some time had passed I re-checked my ping graphs only to see that the ping had dropped back to its 37ms!
This tells me that this additional 6ms of latency is a product of the 582 as my other line has a ping of 37ms and it too uses a Vigor 120. Whether anything can be read into it I do not know, but I did think it was worth mentioning here in case anyone had access to an unused 582 they could maybe reconnect it and test for themselves. It may well be an idiosyncrasy of my line / kit / exchange but all the same 6ms is 6ms.
2 REPLIES 2
ian007jen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: TG 582n Ping Time -v- DrayTek 120 Ping Time

Too many other variables out of your control there really, were you connected to the same gateway; was the routing the same; but as you say 6 ms is indeed 6 ms Smiley
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: TG 582n Ping Time -v- DrayTek 120 Ping Time

Could be the effect of changing PlusNet Gateway on resynching rather than changing router - I don't routinely monitor pings now, but during my connection problems I found that pings varied by up to 4ms between different gateways, which is not that far off your observations, although you can't discount slight differences between different router models too I suppose.