cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG 582n - Is it ok for Fibre?

mikeshe
Grafter

TG 582n - Is it ok for Fibre?

I ordered fibre which is due to be supplied tomorrow. I understood, according to PN that the above router was ok for fibre broadband but now I'm not so sure? This one hasn't got a red slot or a usb slot.
16 REPLIES 16
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: TG 582n - Is it ok for Fibre?

The fibre version is ok for fibre, otherwise it would not be supplied.
It uses one of the LAN ports to connect to the BT modem.  A USB port is not required for fibre
Hth

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mikeshe
Grafter

Obviously, but I understand that PN use the same model number (TG 582n) for the fibre and adsl versions.
Not realising this before as I'm not an expert I checked the model of the router I had, which is the TG 582n, read about it being used on these forums and therefore didn't ask for a different version with the same model number. It would make sense to have a different model number such as TG 582nf (f for fibre) for us non anoraks. So now it looks like I have an engineer coming tomorrow on a wasted visit.
dick:quote
ghos7em1
Grafter

just dont use latest firmware ive found a few bugs,port forward goes to wrong ip dmz dont work or works for 1 day web pages dont display or they disappear
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: mikeshe
Obviously, but I understand that PN use the same model number (TG 582n) for the fibre and adsl versions.

As ever context is important.   Cheesy  This is a repeated question, usually asked in the context of the supplied fibre router.  Note also there is a USB variant of this router with the same model number - model number designation is a manufacture choice, not PlusNet's.
The fibre versions (variant?) has different firmware.  BT engineer visit will not be a waste of time, the scope of their service does not include installing the router, just their modem.  If you ask today, you might get one by tomorrow, PN are quite good at getting these shipped by the following day.
You can connect a PC direct to their router using a PPPoE connection - there are instructions around here somewhere, but I did not have the link to hand.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mikeshe
Grafter

You can connect a PC direct to their router using a PPPoE connection
Thanks but as clear as mud to me  Huh So the engineer just installs their modem and doesn't actually get you up and running then?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Mike,
Sorry about that - will need to get on a computer (proper) and find the link for you.  It is similar to the old days of configuring a dial up connection on a computer, only rather than connecting to a phone line, you connect to the BT modem.
...yes, that is the limit of the installation when delivered to specification.  Some sub contractors don't even get that right.  Some individuals will go beyond the specification and get you connected to PlusNET, but that is not part of the job.
Also see my edit above.
Kevin

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

This one? http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-how-to-set-up-a-pppoe-dialler-in-vistawindows...
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Yes, thank you Strat

mikeshe
Grafter

Many thanks Kevin and Strat.
mikeshe
Grafter

Too late to arrive by tomorrow morning but I now need a Fibre router to be sent out by PN, if any of their reps are reading this?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

You might want to try ringing SALES and see if they can get one shipped to you for P&P.  Sales tends to get answered faster than support.

mikeshe
Grafter

Thanks for your help Kevin. Just had a chat with my daughter, she has a Home Hub 5 going spare so I will pick that up at the weekend. Cheesy
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Mike,
I hope that works out for you.  They have a good reputation for wifi, however I believe some versions are locked to BT - hopefully I am wrong or that one is not locked.
Kevin

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Mike,
I believe the later firmware versions for the TG582n ( 10.2.5.2 onwards )  have the ability to switch between ADSL & Fibre http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,123746.0.html
If you download the firmware and update tool from here http://products.plus-payh.co.uk/firmware/ before tomorrow then you could always try updating the router you already have once your Fibre is installed. The hardware for the 2 versions is the same, although some had USB ports. I wouldn't update it before the Fibre is installed just in case it doesn't work with the existing ADSL but after the installation what do you have to lose ?