cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TD-W8968 Router problem after losing broadband

vtr1000
Dabbler

TD-W8968 Router problem after losing broadband

Hi all, i joined so i could have a moan Angry  i have been using the TP link router for a few weeks with no problems, after losing broadband last night i can't get it to work wireless on my laptop, it will work with no security but i don't want to do that, i did reset the router and used the setup guides, doing something wrong, any help would be appreciated, the router is TD-W8968, thanks.
24 REPLIES 24
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Router problem after losing broadband

Hi, welcome to the forum and sorry to hear you've got an ongoing problem. Was that a full factory reset you did?
I'm no expert on that modem/router but there are a few around who are. I suggested edit the title (by editing your first post) to include TD-W8968 in the title.
vtr1000
Dabbler

Re: TD-W8968 Router problem after losing broadband

Thanks, i'm no expert on any router Grin i did do a factory reset on the rear of the router, i think the problem is an Authentication Fault.
Anotherone
Champion

You may need to log into your laptop wireless settings and see what channel it's on, it could be the TD-W8968 has defaulted to a different channel.
Either change channel in the TD-W8968 or the laptop, which ever gives you the best signal.
vtr1000
Dabbler

The router is set on auto, will check my laptop, i should point out that i can't connect to my phone either, it says authentication problem, so not just my laptop.
Anotherone
Champion

The TD-W8968 will have chosen what it saw as the best channel after you reset it. That may not be the same channel as previously and that your devices are on.
You may even have to delete the device wireless settings and set them up again.
vtr1000
Dabbler

I have to admit i can get a bit confused with all that,  Embarrassed i probably set it up wrong after the reset.
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Are you using the correct security key? If you did a factory reset it will now be the default. Have you checked in the wireless settings to check which one you should use?
vtr1000
Dabbler

not sure, in the setup when you are asked for the PPPoE username and password, are they the ones you need to log into your plusnet account? just making sure.
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

no, logon to the router and look under wireless / wireless security and see what the wireless password is.
vtr1000
Dabbler

I can see the wireless password, i didn't think that went in the PPPoE username and password section? whatever i do it's not connecting wireless. were it says please enter ADSL username and password, i think that's were i'm getting confused. you will have to excuse my thickness, it's me age Smiley
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

you are getting confused between two different things. The ADSL username (xxxx@plusdsl.net) and p/w (whatever you have set or were provided by plusnet) are for logging on to the internet. You then have a network name (SSID) set by yourself or the router default and a wireless password that allows devices to connect to the router and gain access to the internet. first thing to do is make sure you are logged on to the internet and once that has happened (your lights will all be on) you can then check your wireless network SSID and password by logging on to the router. your laptop can then look for the SSID and when it finds it log on to it using the wireless password that is set in the router.
Fifer
Grafter

The default wireless password is where it says Device PIN: is this the one you are using? This is in Wireless---Security.
WPS
      Enable WPS:

Add Client (This feature is available only when WPA-PSK, WPA2-PSK or OPEN mode is configured)
Push-Button PIN   
  Help
      Device PIN:     Help
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

they are you WPS settings which are used for connection by pushing buttons but I would leave them alone.
have you got a wireless security page that contain entries like:
* Disable Wireless Security
* WPA/WPA2 - Personal(Recommended)
Authentication Type: WPA2/PSK
Encryption: AES
Wireless Password: ???????
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

your SSID will be in the basic settings page of wireless. Make sure wireless enabled button is checked as well!