cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TD-W8968 N USB ADSl2+ Router set -up

colintivy
Rising Star

TD-W8968 N USB ADSl2+ Router set -up

Following the PN suggestion that my random disconnection rate could be due to a dodgy and somewhat elderly Belkin N router. I have bought a TP Link machine as above. Confident that I had no problem with setting up the previous routers, I have delved into the paperwork of the new machine, this gave me a disc which offered an quick method or a very very complex 106 page manual. The quick one seemed the best too start with, but it appeared only offer to connect wielessly, which I do not want, Ethernet cable for me. The manual is so detailed with a vaste range of options which leave me stumpted. I have the neccesary PN data that was asked for but how to inset this is not clear.
Anyone out there that has successfully tramped through the process and got connected?
I am back on the Belkin and all is well as can be expected!!
Huh
20 REPLIES 20
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: TD-W8968 N USB ADSl2+ Router set -up

Oh dear Colin. What version is it Colin?
Anotherone
Champion

There is a quick Installation guide, is that not on the disc?
If it's the V3 http://www.tp-link.com/resources/document/TD-W8968_V3_QIG_7106504628.pdf
colintivy
Rising Star

Thanks Chris,
That Quick Set Up Wizard is supplied on paper with the router and goes through the procedure and seems to tick the boxes OK until the final check when it fails to verify the router settings. All the lights do seem to show a good result but no connection results. I will have another go at some of the items dealing with Plusnet where the built-in details do not quite agree with the data available from PN. Particularly multiplexing was shown as VC and PN says VC based/VC MUX/VC-multiplexing and I typed it in full.
I am a bit busy on other matters but will try again.
As I put in the post, the full user data is so complex that I could not really wade through it. Hopefully things will be overcome. Do you have any experiences with the new router? I am not sure that it is covered in RSL I am on version 9.9 right now.
Anotherone
Champion

Typing it in won't do it, Colin, you need just to use the options in the drop-down box. RSL should work fine, you should also be able to set it up off-line so as not to risk upsetting DLM.  I'll ring you.
colintivy
Rising Star

Thanks for quick reply. I have now got the thing to connect at last using the quick method. I will try to get RSL up and running. I believe that RSL does not actually list this router but does for some other from the same lot.
Anotherone
Champion

Sorry, my error the 8968 isn't listed, try the 8816/8840/8961 selection first. If no joy, try the 8951, then the 8960. If all that's not worked that leaves the 8950  Undecided
colintivy
Rising Star

I am using the TP-Link W8968 and it is working right now. BUT RSL does not like it. They only list W8960 with an URL of 192.168.1.1 and I have tried .1.2 as for the Belkin and neither produce a Connection speed or a noise margin. Would a visit to RSL website give me an update?
edit lost URL digit!
colintivy
Rising Star

All those did not help, they all have the 192.168.1.1 as the URL.
Anotherone
Champion

What's the url for this one then Colin?
According to what I've just read, it's 192.168.1.1
Fifer
Grafter

Hi
The login to this router is tplinkmodem .net. I don't think RSL will work on this model. I did have it working on the TP-Link 8960N, the one that is in the RSL list of routers.
It does say something about  if the login is embedded in a webpage RSL wont work.  I could be completely wrong here but I read this on the website for RSL.
Please note that the router MUST pop up a login authentication dialogue similar to one of those shown on the right. RouterStats -Lite will not work with routers which use a login embedded in a router webpage.
Ron

Anotherone
Champion

Hi Ron, funnily enough I had just been reading your thread (2 posts), where you had posted the full xDSL: stats twice and no-one had responded Sad Sad
I was talking with Colin and we were trying to find the page where stats were, as the manual is rather bulky for Colin to work through.
Anyway, having found your post we were able to find the info.
Thanks for reminding me about the login, because that may be the crux of getting this sorted, as you say I'm not sure it works with RSL either.
I'll go and remind myself, as I haven't done a customised setup for a while which was the avenue being explored.
I hope all your line problems got resolved.

Fifer
Grafter

Hi
The problems I had seem to have been resolved after the last BT visit, the connection has been up for over 18 days now and is more stable on a 6db SNRM.
I did try to set up RSL on the TP-Link 8968 with a customised setup but it was a bit too technical for me so I gave up, I might have another try, but the bit about the login being embedded in a webpage made me think again.
Ron
Anotherone
Champion

Keep an eye here, if we resolve how to achieve it, I'll post full guidance in the thread. If it needs the full version of RouterStats, I'll cover that in detail - that's even more hairy  Huh
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi Chris,
I am sorry that SWMBO was getting a bit fractious and terminated our lengthy discussion last night. I have not had time to delve into RSL webpage today to see if there is any further guidance from the author yet. The stats look unchanged overnight.
Fifer looks like a useful joiner in this matter.
Roll_eyes