cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TCP port 9418 (Android Open Source Project) Refused.

meagles79
Grafter

TCP port 9418 (Android Open Source Project) Refused.

Hi
Im having problems trying to sync AOSP this evening connection refused , i have had a read around the internet and have come across others 99% have been due to ISP blocking TCP port 9481, does Plusnet have this policy? if so its a bit anouying as i was hoping to do some work at home this evening now i can't , is there a way round this ?
Getting repo ...
  from git://android.git.kernel.org/tools/repo.git
android.git.kernel.org[0: 130.239.17.13]: errno=Connection refused
android.git.kernel.org[0: 199.6.1.173]: errno=Connection refused
android.git.kernel.org[0: 2001:500:60:10:1972:112:1:0]: errno=Network is unreachable
android.git.kernel.org[0: 2001:6b0:e:4017:1972:112:1:0]: errno=Network is unreachable
fatal: unable to connect a socket (Network is unreachable)

Mark
15 REPLIES 15
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: TCP port 9418 (Android Open Source Project) Refused.

Have you checked to make sure you have disabled your plusnet broadband firewall. See connection settings -> broadband firewall on your member centre page. You will need to reboot your router after turning it off.
Plusnet don't normally block ports but the broadband firewall can if it is on.
Also try temporarily disabling any local firewall and anti-virus apps to see if they are causing the problem. If so see if they can be configures not to interfere.
A reboot of router & PC may also help.
meagles79
Grafter

hhhmmm firewall is off (was not on when looked) on sheilds up the port is in stealth? i presume that is ok ? . No firewall on my ubuntu system and port is forwarded just in case, but yet still connection refused.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

It's an outbound connection to port 9418 on the server, it's probably just down - accessing the main git.kernel.org works fine, I never have any trouble pulling or cloning sources from git.gnome.org or elsewhere.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi meagles79,
I've checked and it would see that the port in question is unidentified on our traffic management system. If you can get us some kind of packet capture (such as wireshark) we'd be happy to add this to the next update to that system to make sure it gets the correct priority.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
meagles79
Grafter

_Adam_Walker_
Thank you.
I'll pop some details here once i figure out wireshark  Undecided
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
I've checked and it would see that the port in question is unidentified on our traffic management system.

It should still get through though, should it not?
I read the OP's problem is that couldn't connect to it, not that performance was down.
Mathew
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I read the OP's problem is that couldn't connect to it, not that performance was down.

That's how I read it too Smiley
We don't actively block that port but we do need to identify it correctly if anyone wants to be able to use it.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
MJN
Pro

Oh, right, I didn't know that.
Does that mean if I were to, say, attempt to set up an connection using an unknown-to-you protocol on a port of my choosing then it wouldn't work until I'd submitted a trace? If that's not actively blocking then what is?
Can you point me towards where this is documented further? All I seem to recall reading so far is that 'undefined' traffic merely gets slowed down if anything, not stopped outright until you are able to identify it.
Mathew
meagles79
Grafter

well cant sem to get eith of my lan cards seen within wire shark Sad ubuntu 10.04LTS x64). Can anyone else have a go @ getting some info for these guys , was hoping to move a couple of my projects to work @ home but i need a fully sync aosp Sad
MJN
Pro

Are you running Wireshark as root? (The reason I ask is that Wireshark doesn't normally have any problems with standard network adapters)
Mathew
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: MJN
Does that mean if I were to, say, attempt to set up an connection using an unknown-to-you protocol on a port of my choosing then it wouldn't work until I'd submitted a trace? If that's not actively blocking then what is?
Can you point me towards where this is documented further? All I seem to recall reading so far is that 'undefined' traffic merely gets slowed down if anything, not stopped outright until you are able to identify it.

I think what Adam is referring to and the OP's original problem are related, but not in the sense of direct cause and effect.
Nothing gets blocked or stopped because the application is unknown or the port used is non-standard. However the traffic might be incorrectly classified so not be transmitted with the relative priority it should have. At times traffic of type 'other' can be processed as 'best efforts', and move very slowly at busy times - which could cause the server to time out. That would probably appear as 'blocked' but it isn't, just very slow. I suspect it would be that sort of effect that was at the back of Adam's mind. Getting the application/port correctly classified would speed up transfers so any timeouts (for example) are avoided - giving the appearance that the port is no longer 'blocked'.
David
meagles79
Grafter

ok wireshark snip for plusnet
would not let me attach here so i bunged it up on multiupload

http://www.multiupload.com/G0ZZLMMP7C

http://www.multiupload.com/1YTIPSZTWA
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: meagles79
hhhmmm firewall is off (was not on when looked) on sheilds up the port is in stealth? i presume that is ok ? . No firewall on my ubuntu system and port is forwarded just in case, but yet still connection refused.

I think Shield's Up seeing the port as 'stealth' reflects that the router firewall does not recognise the incoming probe as the response to an outgoing 'get' - so it blocks it but doesn't say so.
Is it possible that the sync problem here is that the response comes from a different IP than the one queried?
David
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

android.git.kernel.org just happens to be down at the moment, you can access any other git server.
here is another wireshark capture, not that it will solve the problem of android.git.kernel.org being offline.