cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TAP3 test not working; suggestions?

myredhotcar
Grafter

TAP3 test not working; suggestions?

Further to this discussion I have now attempted to complete the TAP3 test numerous times without success. When offered the test I disconnect, change the login details in the router as instructed and reconnect. When I try the test however the page fails to load. I have tried in Windows and Linux with three different browsers. I have restarted the router to check the user name and password change is persistent and it is.
I have searched the internet for advice to no avail, but I have found forum threads where others are having similar problems. I have also found this thread which is around a month old and suggests there may be issues with the test itself.
Has anyone tried the test recently and if so were you successful?
18 REPLIES 18
avatastic
Grafter

Re: TAP3 test not working; suggestions?

One thought that occurs, have you specified DNS servers on your router / PC or are you set to get them from DHCP?
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
myredhotcar
Grafter

Hi Avatastic, thanks for the reply. I have the router set up to get DNS server addresses automatically from the ISP. Should I change this setting for the test or leave as is?
amcclean
Rising Star

I have never managed to get the tap 3 to work and i do not have dns servers set. It made no difference to me with the DNS set or unset it has never connected on FTTC.
PN can see all the test results if you choose the further diagnostics option.
podman
myredhotcar
Grafter

Hi podman
Thanks for the info it sounds like there may be issues with the test. I've read a lot of posts where people are having similar problems so maybe it is currently not working.
AndyH
Grafter

It's not working and has been broken since early Jan Sad
It's scheduled to be fixed this weekend.
avatastic
Grafter

Quote from: myredhotcar
Hi Avatastic, thanks for the reply. I have the router set up to get DNS server addresses automatically from the ISP. Should I change this setting for the test or leave as is?

I'd leave it as-is.
My thinking was that if you had specified the DNS servers, they may have not been reachable when connected with the speedtest@speedtest_domain account. If you are set to receive them automatically that shouldn't be the case here.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
myredhotcar
Grafter

Thanks for the help everyone. I guess I will have to wait until the test is fixed to progress with my fault; I will update my ticket and ask PN to keep it open a little longer.
myredhotcar
Grafter

The test is apparently still not working.
AndyH
Grafter

It's not been working since early-mid January  Shocked
myredhotcar
Grafter

PlusNet keep telling me to do the test; I even asked outright. That's pretty frustrating.  Angry
AndyH
Grafter

They are asking you because their suppliers (BT Wholesale) are asking them.
I have been working with PN to get the test fixed for a long time. I have also raised the point that BTW should not be asking their customers to get end users to run the test until they are 100% sure it's fixed - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,124245.msg1094441.html#msg1094441
Unfortunately, BTW seem in no particular hurry to fix the test and Plusnet's hands are tied.
myredhotcar
Grafter

Hi Andy thanks for the info and link. I agree that users should not be asked to run a the test if it's broken; I've wasted quite a lot of time this weekend.
I will also update my ticket. Thanks again.
AndyH
Grafter

@ Chris Pettitt
Can you raise with BTW support that their TAP3 test does not working and they should not be asking their customers/end users to run the test until their technical guys have fixed it?
myredhotcar is not the first person to have spent many hours trying to get a test running, that in fact is broken and won't run.
Thanks
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

This has already been raised, alongside with the intermittent issue of the TAP2 Test being run.
I'm expecting an update to this quite soon. There are a number of teams within our suppliers working on this. I can't request that all customers stop using the TAP3 Test I'm afraid as it does still work for the majority of customers across various ISP's but I'll do all I can to apply pressure to get this fixed.