Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Crashes on some web sites

colintivy
Rising Star

System Crashes on some web sites

Sad
I regularly experience complete system crashes down to reset when going to some web sites. This may be because I still (have to) run Win98SE and IE6. This does not happen on many including, of course, Plus.com
Any comforting words out there?
21 REPLIES 21
God
Grafter

Re: System Crashes on some web sites

Does your system always crash on the same web sites and always not crash on others?
Mark
Grafter

Hi there.
Can you give us some information on some of the sites you are experiencing difficulties with? It would be helpful to understand what is trying to load / run on those sites which are causing you grief.
colintivy
Rising Star

HI CHAPS,
I cannot be comprehnsive and perhaps I should log it to see if there is a pattern. For instance 3 successive attempts to www.four-pillars.co.uk today failed.  There are others but no log to help you.
Be3G
Grafter

It wouldn't surprise me if it's Adobe Flash causing it, which I notice is present on that page - do you know if there're any websites which work fine and use Flash?
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi Be3G
It looks as though you have scored a bullseye. One likely website, RAFA.org.uk, came up and then a pop-up said "you need Adobe Flash to look at this and then promptly crashed the lot!! There should be a connection and it would seem that you can download the software from Adobe themselves. If so ta a lot!
craiglay
Grafter

When I saw this where I work (I'm ICT tech for schools) it was a conflict of different versions of Flash on the machine
Do a search for *.ocx (have to include hidden and system files) and anything that has flash in the name remove. You may even have to empty the recycle bin and reboot. Reinstall the lastest from the site above.
Examples are:
swflash.ocx
flash.ocx
flash9x.ocx
And this should solve it.
Craig
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi Craiglay,
Looked at .ocx  no flash entries. Looked at Adobe pages on Google. The current downloads are for Flash9 which does not work on anything earlier than Win me. Any ideas for my poor old Win 98SE ?
geewizz
Grafter

In your first post you allude to the fact that you can't run any other OS except Win98. Why is that?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

The OP also alludes to IE6 - what's wrong with Firefox or Opera?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

colintivy
Rising Star

Hi you two,
Answer is common to both. I arrived on the modern computer scene in '95 and '98. My computers are now both on 98SE and IE6 and I would have to replace both to accomodate the latest outpourings of Microsoft. The cost of the hardware and software is just too much. I hope to migrate to one of the Linux OSs as a fugitive from Bill Gates soon. It might just keep me in action for a bit longer. My laptop is undergoing guru examination at present, it lost a couple of Dial-up files for some reason. Assuming it survives I will switch one of the systems to Linux and start hunting for drivers for peripherals i.e.printers and scanners if they are not already enclosed with the disks. Hence my desire to use Broadband in the meantime. Where it works now is usefull but crashes, presumably due to the lackof Flash, are a bit frustrating.
geewizz
Grafter

There comes a time when a PC becomes uneconomical to upgrade to make it viable and you have to bite the bullet and replace it. I think you've passed that stage with your machine. Sad
The good news is that there are thousands of machines being sold cheaply that would solve all the issues you have with that outdated hardware and OS. Smiley
Time for some Ebay browsing, I think.
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi Craiglay,
Sorry to rake over old coals but I have not been able to progress as well as I hoped. All Flash stuff has been eradicated but I find that most of the likely sites crash, presumably because I do not have any FlashPlayer which is a bit frustrating. Some now only offer version 10 which, of course is no use to me. I have not so far found anyone that has copy of 8 or earlier (remember Win 98SE). This is aslo true of many download sites for other bits and pieces. I have had a lot of helpful advice on my most recent post concerning the migration to Linux. I have not reformatted the HD on the laptop yet so that I can load a distro on it. But using the tower on 98 is at present my only means of communicating with the fraternity.
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Not sure if you've seen this page
http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/alternates/
and this page over half way down
http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/productinfo/systemreqs/
Both specify Flash Player 9 for Windows 98.
Hope this helps.
We've got Macs and some flash sites don't work properly with them, despite having the latest version.
Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both
colintivy
Rising Star

Thanks a lot, will try them. So many of these pages either just wipe out the system straight away or just let you get to the interesting bits and then fall over. I will try and hope. Sorry to hear thet even posh systems with the latest software are not immune from this problem.