cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synology NAS connected to TG582n – port forward config failing

MikeBe

Synology NAS connected to TG582n – port forward config failing

I am trying to get a Synology NAS working on a fibre connected TG582n (with USB) which has firmware 8.c.m.0 build DG. The problem is that I can’t get game and application working to assign port forwarding to the NAS device. The profile creates but refuses to be assigned to the device. Also UPnP config from the NAS says it has worked at the NAS but on inspection of the 502 nothing has been created or assigned. After much forum searching I found this.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,106578.msg986154.html#msg986154
So it appears I need firmware 10.2.2.9 (or later) with fibre mods applied. As the post is quite old can anyone confirm that it’s still the best advice? If it is a pointer to the firmware would be much appreciated.  Did find a link to  PN FTTC R10.2.5.2 FO but it’s not clear what this is or does.
6 REPLIES 6
washboardmac
Grafter

Re: Synology NAS connected to TG582n – port forward config failing

Hi
I've got a Synology NAS and have previously set up port forwarding for it using the Plusnet-supplied router (have now changed it for something better though.)  I can't recall the exact firmware version but was 8.x and supplied about a year ago and has the USB port and is on FTTC.
I replied a while back to a post on a similar subject http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,115399.0 but it sounds like you've got the hang of the steps.
What comes to my mind though is how you've assigned the IP address for the NAS.  Is it static, i.e. assigned in the NAS itself?  The TG582n has  problems with port forwarding to devices that it hasn't assigned an IP address to.  I learnt this early on and used the option in the UI to 'always assign the same address'.
I hope this is of some help.
Yours
Andy
MikeBe

Thanks for the reply Andy it does look like I’m treading the same path.  Interesting you got the port assignment to work with an 8. something firmware.  It absolutely refuses to work for me with 8.C.M.0 .  Profile creates but errors on assignment.  IP is fixed at both ends.  Hopefully someone will confirm the 10. version of firmware I think I need at point me to it.
TORPC
Grafter

If you end up requiring the 10.2.2.B Firmware
Here is a link to several versions including the 10.2.2.B
http://products.plus-payh.co.uk/firmware/
washboardmac
Grafter

Mike
When you say "errors on assignment" what exactly comes up?
And also "IP is fixed at both ends"; are you saying that you've chosen 'always use the same address' in the router's UI and have given the Synology a fixed IP?  If so I'd recommend removing the fixed IP assignment in the NAS.
If you're still having problems then it may be possible that the router is faulty.  We know it's not the friendliest device out there but there's no reason why it shouldn't work.  I also changed the DHCP pool set up from 192.168.x to 10.0.x, which was a faff but do-able, all from within the UI.
Andy
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

You don't say which ports you're trying to assign. If it's for FTP you will need to first unassign the port forward rule for the routers own FTP server -- this is used by the content sharing / usb hard drive.
IMO there's no need to change firmware, port forward works the same on all versions.
washboardmac
Grafter

@npr.  That's a very good point.  I'd assumed he was trying to open port 5000, which is the normal Synology remote access port.
Andy