cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syncing in the rain

iashton
Grafter

Syncing in the rain

I used to sync at 2Mbps with my old product but moved to Unlimited/ADSL Max because its cheaper and held the promise of connecting up to 4Mbps .
Well its cheaper but the line speed promise never materialised. On a good day I can sync at up to 3Mbps which results in a 'Plusnet Current line speed of 2500'.
And the reason is the continual change in my sync speed with the weather. When it rains my sync speed drops to about 1Mbps and the Noise Margin reported by my router jumps to 23db or more. This causes my IP profile to drop and Plusnet track this and reduce my Current line speed accordingly.
I'm sure the problem isn't my wiring
1. My old connection was fixed at 2Mbps and never changed
2. I've stood with a watering can over the box where the line enters the house and the sync speed doesn't change.
So what's happening between my house and the exchange (Rawdon,Leeds) ? Is that the problem?
Is there a physical explanation ( water leaking into something?)
The problem for me is that unless I continually monitor the router to check the speed and reboot appropriately my IP profile bounces along the bottom and I get a worse download speed than I had on the fixed product.
As the posts on this forum testify its a real pain  to get the IP profile back up  once its fallen.

3 REPLIES 3
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Syncing in the rain

Hows your voice phone, is that noisy in the wet? if so tell your telephone supplie, but dont mention broadband
James
Grafter

Re:Syncing in the rain

Hi iashton,
Peter raises a valid point - do you hear any noise on your telephone line?
If so, raise it directly to Retail or whoever you pay your line rental to - it's a more important symptom and their responsibility to fix.
iashton
Grafter

Re: Syncing in the rain

The phone line is OK all the time. However I'm not sure how much the phones ( Panasonic ) clean up a crackly signal so I wouldn't notice a slight deterioration.
I'll check what speeds the neighbours get. We all travel underground to the same telegraph pole which then disappears off through the tress up to Rawdon.
I'll post back with anything interesting.