cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synch speed and IP profile - time needed to reset?

interstella

Synch speed and IP profile - time needed to reset?

I am 1 of the lucky people who have always got 6-7 MB speed - hundred yards from exchange 😉 However, my adsl speed has been really slow (2MB) all week which I assumed was just a temporary Plusnet/BT problem.
However, checked router stats today and realised that synch was only 2200 with margin of 6 and attenuation of 65. Tracked problem down to a adsl filter which must have broken. Replaced it and now resynched properly several times at 7616 / 448 - what I always used to get, with margin & attenuation of 13 which I believe is good?
However I am still limited to 2MB downloads (confirmed by speedtests) and IP Profile/synch speed in member centre connection settings is 2000 (always used to be 8000)
Please could anyone suggest if the IP profile, download speed (and Member Centre synch speed) will automatically go back up to 8MB in a few days as BT line 'adjusts' or can the profile become 'stuck' and need any action?
Many thanks and sorry for moaning about only 2MB which I know is more than some people can get...
4 REPLIES 4
James
Grafter

Re: Synch speed and IP profile - time needed to reset?

Hi there,
As Peter has mentioned, your profiled speeds should go back to their previous speed after 3-5 days on the assumption that you are consistently syncing at the speed at which you were before.
interstella

Hi, many thanks to you both for replying.
I may have misunderstood you as I thought that when the profile eventually went back up to 6500 then download speeds would go up as well to match and all would be well?
Do I in fact have to wait another 3-5 days after the profile has moved up to 6500 for actual speeds to catch up with that new higher profile?
Reason I ask is that actual downloads are still capped at 2MB even though Plusnet connection/profile did move back up to 6500 since yesterday.
The BT speedtester never works for me (login name doesn't match) - have tried 10's of times in IE and Firefox at different times of day...
Many thanks for your help
James
Grafter

Hi there,
I think there is a wider problem here whereby BTs changes are taking a longer-than-usual time to apply.  Normally, as soon as the profile changes had been applied, the speed change would be instant.  recently, there have been instances of this taking a day or so to go through.
interstella

Just rebooted router, synched fine at 7616 again and now downloads seem to have caught up to synch speed.
Tested twice on different speed tests at around 5640 kbps which seems ok for this time of day - definitely not still capped at 2MB anyway.
Many thanks for your help and advice. Have learned a lot as well as resolving problem.