cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synch Speed reduced after fault resolution

tywyn
Grafter

Synch Speed reduced after fault resolution

I had a problem with my broadband last Thursday and did the usual change filters, spare router/modem etc only to find today that it was a faulty modem cable! Since my connection was upgraded to 8MB a couple of years ago I have always synched at 8128 and was getting 6.4MB download speeds.
Now that I have reconnected today my synch is 6272Kbps and my Plusnet profile shows
Your High-speed Broadband Service
Your current broadband speed is 4000 Kbps

Plusnet turned interleaving on last Friday and I turned it back off again today. Am I likely to get my synch back to 8128 again and my profile back to 8000 Kbps? I have tried to reconnect my router several times only to synch at 6272 Kbps. I know that a synch of 8128 can't be obtained with interleaving on but I should still be getting a synch of 7.5MB and a throughput of at least 6500-7000 Kbps. Help please.
68 REPLIES 68
geewizz
Grafter

Re: Synch Speed down after fault resolution

Give it 3 days to see if it comes back up to speed.
From http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/troubleshooting/speed_faults.shtml
If the speed of your connection has been lowered as the result of a temporarily fault on the line, once the fault is cleared, the speed of service will generally increase back to usual levels after a period of three days.
tywyn
Grafter

Re: Synch Speed reduced after fault resolution

Ok thanks for the advice, I'll see how it is in a few days then.
I also noticed that my SNR is now 15.5, I hope this isn't fixed as it used to hover between 10.5 and 12. BT did a manual line test for me last Friday, I hope thay haven't fixed the SNR.
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 1:00:30

Modulation: G.DMT Annex A [POTS Overlay Mode]

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 6,272

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 2.21 / 6.56

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.0

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 11.0 / 20.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 26.0 / 15.5

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): ALCB / ALCB

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
James
Grafter

Hi tywyn,
If BT have changed your target SNR value, then you are more than welcome to raise a fault to us and we can then get BT to lower it for you.
tywyn
Grafter

Thanks James, I'll see how the connection is until Sunday. If the synch and SNR aren't back to normal by then I'll raise a ticket. It's up to 17 atm.
tywyn
Grafter

I just reconnected now with synch improved at 6720 but now my profile shows 500 Kbps  Shocked

It seems my profile is stuck at 500 Kbps, eventhough im synching at 6.7mb, could this be resolved please?
tywyn
Grafter

My router has synched at 6.7MB now for over 3.5 hours and my speed is still 131 kb/s and BRAS still stuck at 500 Kb/s (135 Kb/s in reality I think) I can't do anything apart from some slow surfing. The strange thing is my BRAS was 4000 kb/s this afternoon until I rebooted to get a better synch (which I did) but the BRAS went down to 135 kb/s, eventhough the connection is stable since I changed the modem cable. Can you fix my profile please? I really don't want to wait 3 days for the profile to (possibly) correct itself from 131 kb/s.
Uptime: 0 days, 3:33:05

Modulation: G.DMT Annex A [POTS Overlay Mode]

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 6,720

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 4.27 / 11.29

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.0

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 11.0 / 20.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 26.0 / 15.5

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): ALCB / ALCB

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: tywyn
My router has synched at 6.7MB now for over 3.5 hours and my speed is still 131 kb/s and BRAS still stuck at 500 Kb/s (135 Kb/s in reality I think) I can't do anything apart from some slow surfing. The strange thing is my BRAS was 4000 kb/s this afternoon until I rebooted to get a better synch (which I did) but the BRAS went down to 135 kb/s, eventhough the connection is stable since I changed the modem cable. Can you fix my profile please? I really don't want to wait 3 days for the profile to (possibly) correct itself from 131 kb/s.

There was a sync event on your line yesterday of 160kbps at 12:46:44pm.
I'm afraid we're going to have to wait for BT's DLM kit to do it's thing, but if there's no change in a couple of days then let us know and we can revisit the situation and raise a fault if needs be.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

tywyn
Grafter

Quote from: Bob

There was a sync event on your line yesterday of 160kbps at 12:46:44pm.
I'm afraid we're going to have to wait for BT's DLM kit to do it's thing, but if there's no change in a couple of days then let us know and we can revisit the situation and raise a fault if needs be.

That's strange as I reconnected at about 1pm and my profile showed as 4000 Kbps all afternoon. I rebooted the router a couple of times hoping to get a better synch which I did at about 5pm but then my profile went to 135 kbps. I was even speed testing the line in the afternoon and I was getting about 3MB so it's strange how it synched at 12:46 at 160 kbps. The router hasn't dropped the connection once and the lowest I synched at yesterday was about 6.2mb. I haven't been able to use the service properly since last Thursday and now another two days on top. I'm hacked off that I can't play WoW more than anything. I'm paying to use both DSL and WoW and can use neither, apart from some 56k style browsing.
godsell4
Rising Star

That's strange as I reconnected at about 1pm and my profile showed as 4000 Kbps all afternoon ...

Where did you see this? The PN portal @ https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed is only updated at 8AM and 8PM each day ... according to what we are told.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
tywyn
Grafter

Quote from: godsell4
That's strange as I reconnected at about 1pm and my profile showed as 4000 Kbps all afternoon ...

Where did you see this? The PN portal @ https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed is only updated at 8AM and 8PM each day ... according to what we are told.
SW.

I saw it in the PN portal. Here is a speed test result from 12:58 yesterday

So how could it synch at 12:46 at 160 kbps when I was able to get 2918 kbps at 12:58? I really think there's a problem with the profile, which needs to be reset.
I noticed that my router SNR had dropped to 13 today with a stable (as always) connection, so I rebooted (after 11.5 hours of error free connection) to see if the synch would improve but in fact it's gone from 6.7Mb to 6.0 MB and the SNR back up to 15 again.
James
Grafter

If you had a blip on your sync speed (which may have lasted for a short period of time) it normally takes about 75-90 minutes for BT to drop your IP Profile.
tywyn
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
If you had a blip on your sync speed (which may have lasted for a short period of time) it normally takes about 75-90 minutes for BT to drop your IP Profile.

Ah I understand. The 'blip' must have been when I was testing the faulty cable.  It looks like a two day wait then, arggggghhhh I can't stand it, I'm going out  Sad
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I'm surprised that nobody has told you that if your target SNR has gone up to 15dB you will not get back to the best speed that you had before the fault. Your profile may come back up quicker than 3 days if you do not have any breaks in your connection (especially at a lower speed) which seems to delay things.
As you last re-synced when your SNR was 13db (ie. 2dB noiser line, which is why it dropped to 6M) you need to wait until your noise is better than 15dB, earlyish in the morning (in daylight) seems to be the most likely time when it should be consistently better, but see what your router is telling you. Personally I wouldn't try until your SNR is at least 15.5dB, preferably nearer 16 or more and check that it is fairly stable over several minutes.
What I do not know is how many re-sync's per hour (say), will be interpreted by BT's system as a fault, I've seen the question asked somewhere, but can't remember where and didn't see an answer; also what's the minimum time to be off-line to re-sync that won't be interpreted as a sync event. Perhaps someone with the definitive knowledge and experience could advise on that.
Best of luck anyway.
godsell4
Rising Star

Quote from: Anotherone

What I do not know is how many re-sync's per hour (say), will be interpreted by BT's system as a fault, I've seen the question asked somewhere, but can't remember where and didn't see an answer ...

The consensus seem to be 10 resyncs in 1 hour will get your profile target noise margin raised quickly. My experiences suggest BT also monitor some kind of weekly or monthly average too and may increase the margin upwards ... I have never seen the margin automagically reduced. Sad
SW.
Edit: Ooops. correct a typo. Sad
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed