cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync speed vs actual speed

dbrb2
Dabbler

Sync speed vs actual speed

Can anyone suggest why, when my VDSL modem is showing the below connection stats, I am only able to
receive a maximum download rate (tested from various sites at various times, on a wired connection) of
~50Mbps down? (upload is a more reasonable 17 up)
If I am reading the below correctly I am syncing at a much higher speed than this...
[InternetGatewayDevice.WANDevice.1.WANDSLInterfaceConfig.Status]                               UP
[InternetGatewayDevice.WANDevice.1.WANDSLInterfaceConfig.ModulationType]                  VDSL
[InternetGatewayDevice.WANDevice.1.WANDSLInterfaceConfig.LineEncoding]               DMT
[InternetGatewayDevice.WANDevice.1.WANDSLInterfaceConfig.DataPath]                       Fast
[InternetGatewayDevice.WANDevice.1.WANDSLInterfaceConfig.InterleaveDepth]               1
[InternetGatewayDevice.WANDevice.1.WANDSLInterfaceConfig.LineNumber]                       1
[InternetGatewayDevice.WANDevice.1.WANDSLInterfaceConfig.UpstreamCurrRate]         20000000
[InternetGatewayDevice.WANDevice.1.WANDSLInterfaceConfig.DownstreamCurrRate]         80000000
[InternetGatewayDevice.WANDevice.1.WANDSLInterfaceConfig.UpstreamMaxRate]        37241152
[InternetGatewayDevice.WANDevice.1.WANDSLInterfaceConfig.DownstreamMaxRate]         104197984
[InternetGatewayDevice.WANDevice.1.WANDSLInterfaceConfig.UpstreamNoiseMargin] 183
[InternetGatewayDevice.WANDevice.1.WANDSLInterfaceConfig.DownstreamNoiseMargin] 102
[InternetGatewayDevice.WANDevice.1.WANDSLInterfaceConfig.UpstreamAttenuation]         0
[InternetGatewayDevice.WANDevice.1.WANDSLInterfaceConfig.DownstreamAttenuation] 137
[InternetGatewayDevice.WANDevice.1.WANDSLInterfaceConfig.UpstreamPower]                 43
[InternetGatewayDevice.WANDevice.1.WANDSLInterfaceConfig.DownstreamPower]         102
5 REPLIES 5
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Sync speed vs actual speed

Hi dbrb2,
If you could PM me your account username, I'd be happy to take a look.
As a side note, are you doing speed tests via Wireless? If so, what speeds do you get via Ethernet?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: dbrb2
(tested from various sites at various times, on a wired connection)

Roll_eyes
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Sorry, missed that - not a massive issue, I'm sure Smiley
dbrb2
Dabbler

Hi Chris - just PM you the username
Actually I think you checked this for me last week. I still haven't been able to try doing PPPoE directly (bypassing the router) as suggested - but thought posting the modem stats could be of use to see what was going on
Ben
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks Ben.
Made a note of that. Would you be able to do a PPPoE Connection to see if the speeds do increase? It will give us more assurances that it's not the router or any other part of the set up.