cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync speed regained but IP Profile seems to be stuck

swatboy79
Dabbler

Sync speed regained but IP Profile seems to be stuck

Hi, 7 days into my 10 day training period my VDSL a few weeks ago I suffered a noted change in speed. I am sure there are loads of posts like this but this is about my connection.
Went from 66mbit down to 54mbit and finally today it has gone back up to 61mbit after another 10 days  ::).
I have been monitoring the SNR and Sync speeds closely as I have got a Billion 8800NL Modem and what i did notice is that Interliving has been turn back off now hence possibly the increase in speed / snr.
I am not sure what caused the original dip (possibly Crosstalk or Cabnet having new VDSL take up) but my profile seems to be stuck at 50mbit (all speed tests come out at 50mbit) even though my sync speed has risen.
Before this happend I got 64mbit when i had 66 so i would expect at least to see around 58mbit now...
I know this may sound trivial but I really am expecting to get what I sync at (less overheads). I am directly connected to the internet (no wifi) and all speed tests come out at 50mbit.
On the plusnet site it says "Current line speed: 53.8 Mb"  but this isn't true I am currently at 61mbit.
The question is,"Current line speed" Is this the IP profile or the Sync speed and if so, how long do I have to wait for the IP profile to raise to my sync speed again?
Thanks
Wes
8 REPLIES 8
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Sync speed regained but IP Profile seems to be stuck

Hi Wes,
Welcome to our community forums.
I've taken a look at your line and have manually updated your speed profile on our systems according to your IP profile. We received the update for your line today and the next batch of scripts that run to update connections profiles stats this evening which would have been when yours would have updated if I hadn't intervened.
I hope this helps.
swatboy79
Dabbler

Hi Chris thanks.
Even after the Plusnet speed reflects my sync rate my speed is still around 50.5mbit and made no difference (hence maybe just informational?).
Confirmed last night and again this AM using various speed tests which I trust.
(at 59mbit) Today 08:14 50648 kbps (6.33MB/s) 17757 kbps (2.22MB/s)
(at 53mbit) Yesterday 10:05 52017 kbps (6.5MB/s) 17508 kbps (2.19MB/s)
(At 53mbit) Friday 15:41 50680 kbps (6.34MB/s) 17577 kbps (2.2MB/s)
Before this I was getting 60mbit+ and the speed always reflected what I was synced at even when i first dropped to 58mbit.
Usually when i have had a speed change it reflects immediately.
Is there any reason why my speed is throttled? (again i am directly connected to the internet and no wifi)
I expect that my sync rate changes due to conditions but I do expect to get what I sync at at least.
Thanks
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Are you able to run a speed test and run further diagnostics once it's complete?
If you're able to do that then please could you post the results of the speed test and the IP profile.
swatboy79
Dabbler

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download Speed
48.65 Mbps

0 Mbps 59.3 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 48.65 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 47.44 Mbps-59.3 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 59.3 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
16.85 Mbps

0 Mbps 20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 16.85Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
swatboy79
Dabbler

It will never go above 50.5mbit on any speedtest, the BT test just happens to be a bit lower.
So really the title of this Thread should really be that the speed is being throttled at the momement due to some DLM rule who knows.
Maybe another 2 weeks wait will sort it out.... Can't wait for FTTP one day, DSL always has issues...
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Are you able to connect up the BT modem and try a PPPoE connection to see if there's any difference?
swatboy79
Dabbler

I can try, but i may wait as I really don't want to get any DLM possibly upset and put me onto Interleaving which really just made the line really wobbly and snr was all over the place.
I may try tonight, but the irony is the Openreach box just sync slower anyway (i dont trust free 10 quid modems), so back to square one really?
My line was fantastic for 1 week 66mbit and got what i sycned at with my BIllion 8800NL super stable.
My connection then went all over the place when I saw the engineer inside the Cabinate on my way out the same time my stats went down the first time.
I see load of souls with way large issues - it's a lottery at the end.
I do maintain my current connection is clamped at 50mbit though.
Thanks for the help Chris, I will do more checks and if it has not righted itself i will respond to this thread ether way and we can go from there.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

There's nothing where we are restricting your speeds to 50Mb/s. The next step would certainly be to try it with the PPPoE connection via the BT modem.
No worries if you don't want to do that just yet, but when you can or decide to let us know how you get on.