cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync speed question

Moominfish
Grafter

Sync speed question

Just got a quick question regarding sync speed, does/can the sync speed shown in routerstats here go up by itself without a need for a reboot of the router at any point, because apparently it's rebooting routers that causes the sync problems (please excuse my french) and what causes IP profiles to f*ck up! Making routers lose sync and IP profiles go down.

Info please
19 REPLIES 19
scootie
Grafter

Re: Sync speed question

a hard reboot of the router will cause the router to power down and of cause lose sync with the exchange.
even if the router dosent reboot the sync to the exchange can be lost by a number of factors, ie elcy interfrence, high number of errors on the line, and if the DLM wants to up your noise margin or lower it then that to will drop the line and resync.
resync during the night will result in a lower sync speed (normaly around 100-500kbps )
if you reboot your router to many times in a short period of time this will make the DLM (dynamic line mangment) think there is a fault and increase your noise margin resulting in a lower sync speed.
its best to get a stable high sync speed (the best your current NM will alow ) and then leave well alone, turning your router off over night is ok but try and not have to do a sync during dark hours. Its normaly best to leave your router synced 24/7 once youve got a stable sync and show the dlm your line is super stable and sit and wait for it to lower your NM down ( in your case it looks as thoe its a 15db NM )
sorry if the info you need isnt given in this post as its a quicky as the misses is wanting to do the weekly shop at tesco.com  Roll_eyes
itsme
Grafter

Slap wrist is coming up again for bypassing the swear filter  Wink
Sync speed will only  change with a new synchronisation with the exchange. This can happen either by a reboot of the modem, lost of sync because of noise or by the DLM. Somewhere in your modem/router stats will a figure for this. On mine it's called Number of Resets.
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
Your sync speed won't change until you reconnect.
If you need to update your sync speed but don't want it to show as a drop in the exchange equipment you'd need to drop the PPP session (you can do this in your router's control panel, it's usually a disconnect button in the connection details section).
itsme
Grafter

Confusion  Huh You drop the PPP session not to update your sync speed but your throughput speed as specified by the PN Current Line Speed figure.
Moominfish
Grafter

Thanks for that info Mand and itsme and Asbo Dog for replying I appreciate it  :), and is the below what your talking about Mand? The whole PPP thing? And does that disconnect/connect thing even if not showing as a disconnect at the exchange really update the sync speed? As I never knew lol, you learn something new everyday, thanks again Mand Smiley

And noooooo I didn't realise that was classed as bypassing the swear filter itsme (I've now re-read the rules Mods before you jump on me :D) I must say I've just find out about a program called DMT tool http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/DMTv8.htm which works with my router and it has put my sync speed up to 5760 WITHOUT a reboot of the router needed as it still says connected for 2 hrs 36 minutes now and if I'd rebooted it would have reset the time back to zero.
Great tool and it worked.
itsme
Grafter

Don't rely to much on the timers as it's possible to do a resync with the exchange without doing a reboot and resetting the timers.
Moominfish
Grafter

Itsme,
So are you saying if it's possible to do a resync with the exchange without resetting the timers that it will still show as a drop at the exchange?
Confused much lol Cheesy
itsme
Grafter

The important stat to find is the Number of Resets or whatever it's called on the Netgear as this will be the number of syncs to the exchange.
Moominfish
Grafter

Not sure where to look for that (or even if if there is a stats page that shows a Number of Resets on the Netgear router)  I don't think there is though or if there is I haven't found it?
I'll check back later if any more replies anyway because got a few bits n bobs to do.
Thanks for all the replies everyone Smiley
ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: itsme
Confusion  Huh You drop the PPP session not to update your sync speed but your throughput speed as specified by the PN Current Line Speed figure.

I think the point is, if you want to force a reconnect to change sync, then drop the PPP session *first*.  Then the DLM won't see the disconnect as an error and start playing with your noise margin.
HTH
Chris
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

This is a new one on me - can we have confirmation of that as it would be very useful
Mand
Grafter

Quote from: ChrisL
drop the PPP session *first*.  Then the DLM won't see the disconnect as an error and start playing with your noise margin.

This.
Dropping the PPP session sends a disconnect packet, therefore meaning that the drop isn't seen as an unknown error/stability issue.
scootie
Grafter

if you like the dmt app you will love this one http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm pretty much the same thing as dmt but with more options on the graphing side and telnet works tiptop with netgears esp the dg834 v4.
if you have the v4 then changing the firmware to the unoffical DGteam one is a good idea as where dmt and routerstats NM tweaks dont apply again when your line resyncs with out using the apps the DGteam firmware allows you to hard set a NM tweak and last power downs and resyncs  Smiley http://dgteam.ilbello.com/
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Mand
Dropping the PPP session sends a disconnect packet, therefore meaning that the drop isn't seen as an unknown error/stability issue.

But does this only apply at PN end and not at the exchange? Why does the DLM need to know that the PPP session has been dropped as this does not affect sync?