cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync speed issues

deltec
Dabbler

Re: Sync speed issues

What kind of period of stability are we talking about before the banded profile is removed ?
I have not noticed any dropped connections yet my profile seems to get banded - is there anything I can do to help with this ?
Also, is my profile currently banded ?
Thanks
Phil
James
Grafter

Hi Phil,
Your profile is banded, but only as of today.
If you remain connected for 3 days with no drops, then this should be removed.  If it hasn't been, please let us know and we can intervene manually.
Grafter

Following my input above, Plusnet staff have been conducting various tests on my connection. My last rate change was 16 July and I am on banded profile, presumably since then. They say I am limited to connection up to 9M but it has consistently been at 7127k. It would seem that the banded profile is a bit like a straight jacket. As per 'deltec' I would also like to know how long a banded profile is on before 'normal' service is returned. 7+ weeks seems too long.
James
Grafter

My answer to you would be the same Wink
If it's with faults already, I suspect that Keith is aware.  Banded profiles should be removed after a 3 day period of stability.  However, if it's happened multiple times, I suspect there may be an increased timeframe.
deltec
Dabbler

James,
I have had my router on since 27 August but seem no increase from the 4k sync speed (well, it has actually gone down slightly).
Grafter

James,
Yes, Keith Hiles is onto my problems so no other actions required at this stage. Will report outcome.
James
Grafter

Phil - The banded information shows that the line was banded from early this morning.
deltec
Dabbler

James, why would it band today ? The router is not even switched on !
James
Grafter

I'm guessing - but it doesn't happen immediately.
I suspect that it's delayed from something that happened on Monday.
Grafter

Just lost connection whilst browsing and now reconnected with improved sync speed downstream but upstream has gone down 200k? New router stats attached.
grahamt
Rising Star

As a long-term 'bandee' I agree with James's suspicion (in reply #18 above) that once you've been banded a few times it takes a lot longer than three days for banding to be removed.
My line is very stable with banding (1-3mb/s) applied. I sync at 3069 and get a noise margin of around 15 after a reboot. This drops to about 10 in the middle of the night, but the connection is rock solid. However, it now takes about 4 weeks before banding is removed.
It doesn't last. For a brief period (1-2 days, typically) my sync speed increases, SNR starts at either 6 or 9 after a reboot, drops to zero or below(!) after dark, the line becomes unusable (PPP goes down, and though I think it doesn't register as a line drop from BT's point of view the error count rockets) and banding is restored soon afterwards.
I'm used to it now. For newcomers or the newly-affected, though, it might be nice to put a system in place that would show users when their line is banded. It could maybe sit on the same page (Connection settings.. High-speed broadband) as the 'Current line speed' (aka IP or BRAS profile) setting. That would save time currently spent by PN support staff liaising with the faults team and the faults team checking with BT, and it could also be used to collect statistics. I'm guessing that it's not easy at the moment for PN support to get a clear picture of how many lines are banded.
The main problem might be that BT would have to co-operate.
Graham
Grafter

Banding was removed from my connection two days ago and my sync went from 7124 to 8661 then, following reboot, to 10166k. All very good. I then tried to get clever and fiddle SNR and managed re-sync at 10440k at 9:14 this morning with SNR ~9, by 11.38 I had been caught out and returned to 7124k with SNR 15+ on what appears to be banded setting.
Well it seems I should have left settings alone.
Thanks to PlusNet staff for your help, and sorry to have mucked it all up.
deltec
Dabbler

Is there any chance of removing my banding now ? I have had no drops but the speeds seem to be getting worse - tonight I was struggling to reach 2MB download speeds.
James
Grafter

I can't - but if you raise a speed fault, Keith should be able to get it removed if your line looks okay.