Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync speed has been gradually dropping.

mapletree
Grafter

Sync speed has been gradually dropping.

Hi,
My best sync speed has been gradually dropping from about 2500K a couple of months ago to 1760Kbps today.  I normally reboot the router regularly.  The current stats are:
noise margin upstream: 17 db
output power downstream: 16 db
attenuation upstream: 31 db
noise margin downstream: 11 db
output power upstream: 11 db
attenuation downstream: 56 db
I have tried changing the microfilter and used a different router but there is no significant difference in sync speed (actually this was a bit slower).  I only have one phone and no sky boxes or alarms to mess things up.  I have a very old BT master socket without a test socket.  I haven't made any changes to my setup (and I can't see how this would cause a slow and gradual change in the sync speed).
I have raised a ticket and PN say they can't find a specific fault but the sync speed should be higher.  I tried the BT quiet line test and there does not seem to be much noise on the line (just hiss from the phone itself I think).
I have never managed to get a BT speed test to complete.  It always get stuck at 96%!
Does anyone have any other ideas?
9 REPLIES 9
James
Grafter

Re: Sync speed has been gradually dropping.

Hi Mapletree,
Given that you're getting at least some hiss on your telephone line, it certainly wouldn't hurt to get something raised with BT Retail, or whoever your voice supplier is.
mapletree
Grafter

I'm not sure if the hiss is introduced by the DECT handset & I don't have a spare phone to check it out.
James
Grafter

Asking them to test the line isn't going to cause any difficulties.
Worth trying.
mapletree
Grafter

BT have done the line test and can't find anything wrong.  Sync speed now 1632Kbps 😞
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I'd expect to hear a steady very quiet gentle shhhhh type sound even with a corded phone. Can you not borrow one from someone for 10 minutes or so?
mapletree
Grafter

I'm just getting a little white noise so this is probably normal.  I will borrow a phone soon but so few people seem to use them nowadays Wink
James
Grafter

You can pick one up for literally a fiver if you can't find one to borrow Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You could take your phone to a friends house and listen to the quiet line test on their line.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

also it is a good idea to have a "normal" phone as any type of dect is useless in a power cut, a normal phone will still work