cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync speed and IP Profile anomaly?

Mardler
Rising Star

Sync speed and IP Profile anomaly?

We have had numerous problems in the last year but connectivity has improved since a BT/OR engineer found an external fault last month.

Unfortunately, since then our d/l speed has been falling as has BT and PN profile.

In August and September 2016 we had d/l speeds of c.21mbps but this dropped and we started getting severe outages as detailed in another thread.

Right now we have:-

* router (PN 582n) down bandwidth of 17.652 (16.8.11: 21.499 and on Dec 02, 2016 was 18.471).
* BT Wholesale IP Profile 15.57 (Sept 02, 2016: 20.17) and d/l speed 10.49 (BTW software error suspected as Ookla was OK see below).

* PN current line speed 15.1 (has been much higher and on Dec 02, 2016 was 16.9).

* Ookla d/l speed 14.12 (Sept 23, 2016: 18.25, on Sept 02: 18.82)

Something doesn't give.

PN folk: I just had a call from "Tony" - please forward this data to him urgently.

118 REPLIES 118
Mardler
Rising Star

Re: Sync speed and IP Profile anomaly?

PN: please respond.

plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

As discussed, I'm looking into this now for you.

Tony

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Mardler
Rising Star

Data taken and to be used by PN following another call.

Guy calling from PN very helpful.

Mardler
Rising Star

Great service, Tony.

Mardler
Rising Star

FAO Tony 

BT engineer called at 11.50. Said he can see huge errors on copper line in two places their side so must correct these first. Asked if I can see errors - I confirmed "millions".

At 12.00: connection outage. Came back unchanged bar error rate much lower though now creeping up albeit nowhere near as bad as before.

Work ongoing so will post back later.

plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Thanks for the update. I'm in meetings for the most part of today so I'll call you back tomorrow once you've been able to monitor.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Mardler
Rising Star

FAO: Tony.

Engineer been.

Line to exchange wildly out of balance so now near perfect. One other exchange fault fixed. Error rate now much lower if not zero (I expect we'll still get the occasional outage as CRC error limit is reached but hopefully few and far between).

Line tested back to the exchange (1.07km) and is as good as can be expected.

Sync speed, SNRM and d/l speed all unchanged: engineer will contact you with suggestions. (PN line speed = 15.5, sync = 17.371, IP Profile = 15.51, d/l speed = 13.88 & falling)

I remain very concerned that d/l speed is still falling at c.0.5mbps after each BB disconnect.

NB.:- I ran the BTW performance test. It gave d/l = 3.61mbps, u/l = 0.57 and a test not conclusive error with a Continue button. The next page was new to me (and the BT engineer!) - it requires the further diagnostics to be rerun after changing the router username & password, which I have not done. This strikes me as odd: do you know what this is?

I'm not too bothered as the Ookla and thinkbroadband tests are more reliable and agree closely with each other and testing by downloading large files.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@Mardler

Changing the router username/password sends all your traffic through BTW network and avoids Plusnet's totally. So the speed test will then be running on BTW and you can see if it returns a different speed. If your speed comes back then the fault is in Plusnet's network. If not, then the fault is somewhere between your computer and the exchange.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Mardler
Rising Star

Thanks, I reran the test - 2.52mbps! 

As I said, the line is fine. Indeed, I've checked d/l speed using large files and timed it: this method, Ookla and thinkbroadband all agree - BTW is way out of step. It's more likely a BTW software fault.

I'll have a go at the data change, though.

FWIW, BTW test used to be OK but ceased to be about 10 months ago.
I wonder if the BT routing problem giving such ridiculous results is linked to the ever decreasing IP Profile? It just dropped again.

Mardler
Rising Star

PN line speed now dropped to 14.7.

Unable to run BTW further diagnostics (speed test gives 33mbps!!!) so cannot check IP Profile.

PN, have you heard from BT?

Mardler
Rising Star

PN:- Tony

Please note that we had another outage at c.23.45 yesterday. Reconnected at 16.671 sync, 7.2 SNRM. Error rate has increased since yesterday. Edit: from router - "Configuration modified by TR69 on 2017-00-05T23:47:11"

BT/OR checks came to nothing.

We are STILL getting outages and with every one a 0.5mbps drop in sync!

I am absolutely fed up with this total inability to resolve the issue - please solve it!!! 

Mardler
Rising Star

I repeat: having suffered this problem since Dec 2015, I am totally p****d off by the continual inability of BT/OR/PN to correct the problem.

BT/OR refuse to acknowledge that there's a line fault and PN do nothing - again and again it's always the customer who is wrong.

Why the outages? Why is sync speed now 16 when it was >21 in Aug 15? Why, since November, does every reconnect reduce sync by 0.5mbps?

plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I am quite concerned that the throughput is also so low.

The profile on BT's side is showing correct in my tests.

Tony

Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I've tried to call you but haven't managed to get through. I'm going to put full details and suggestions on the ticket. I'll call you back next week if I don't hear anything further from you.

Tony

Plusnet Customer Relations

Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team