cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync drops when phone rings (subject was "Is this a record?)

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Is this a record?

I was in London all day yesterday. Came home at around 9pm to find the internet totally down. Rang up support to repart changed situation.
I'm totally unimpressed by the response I got and the ticket 67608452 raised as result of the call. It's been opened and closed and I'm not at all sure it would have let the faults guys know what had happened. I'd have expected him to add the update to the already running fault ticket and returned that ticket to the faults team.
I'm now in the local library to update the ticket and post this.
This will show the current state of my connection:
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Just come back to the library to check if there were any updates on my ticket - there isn't. Has the issue been reported back to BT?
If this isn't fixed by Tuesday I'll have to commute daily to London to be able to work, which means catching a train at 6:12 am, getting home at 7:45 pm at the earliest and will cost me over £90 a day. Normally a few days off-line wouldn't be too bad, but this has come at the worst time possible when I've a load of work with a really tight deadline. Sad
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Sorry Jelv.
I've just got Steve from our Faults Team to pick this up straight away for you. Looms as though we're going to need to get an engineer tasked out.
Steve will be in touch with you very shortly, he'll need 10 or so minutes to read through the history to ensure he is up to speed. Steve will be taking personal ownership of your ticket too. If, for any reason Steve is out of the office, it will fall back to myself.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Thanks. I'm just about to log out. If he needs to contact me it will need to be on my mobile.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No problem, I've passed that onto Steve.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Smiley
Internet back on when I got home. Looks like it came on mid afternoon.
Now to check if the dropping connection on an incoming phone call is fixed.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Let me know Jelv. If you need anything further, let me know Smiley
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

So is your line working properly now?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Nope, still drops on an incoming call.  Sad
Anotherone
Champion

It's b. frustrating, mine has done exactly the b. same, twice in the last 36hrs, but can I reproduce it  Roll_eyes
At least your sync speed gives you a 7Mbps profile (unless things have got worse). I've just lost ½Mbps as the drops were after dark  Angry
Checked all my connections and swapped filters, no noise on the line - audible or otherwise. The exchange equipment must have shrunk in the cold  Crazy
jelv
Seasoned Hero

My current line speed is sitting on 6.5 which I'm perfectly happy with - it's fast enough to comfortably stream HD.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Angry Angry Angry
Quote from my ticket on the day I raised the fault:
Your Response
12:31pm, Wednesday 20 Mar 2013
Connection has been dropping when the phone rings.
Connection has been dropping when the phone rings.
I've connected to the test socket - it still happens.
With the filter in the test socket I disconnected the phone totally, rang my number using my mobile and the connection dropped.
NB The loss of sync is usually so short that the PPP session does not drop so it is not showing on the radius log.

So what do I get today?
<removed> - BOT - DSL Logged Faults
10:12am, Monday 1 Apr 2013
**internal**
TESTING
Profile: 6dB/Fast
WP profile: Generic Speed 6500 No Time Out
CLT: The Line associated with the provided Service id is currently in Fault.
xDSL status check:
RADIUS:

Summary: Line is stable, phone fault open.
Kind regards,
<removed>

<removed> - BOT - DSL Logged Faults
10:14am, Monday 1 Apr 2013
Dear Mr xxx,
Thanks for getting back to us, I have retested your line and can see the connection has been stable for over 3 days. Also there is a phone fault open with your phone supplier so we are unable to complete testing. Once they have rectified and closed the phone fault please get back to us if you still experience issues.
Please do not hesitate to get back in touch online at http://contactus.plus.net or by phone on 0800 432 0200 if we can be of further assistance.
Kind regards,
<removed>
[Sms Message: Thanks for getting back to us, I have retested your line and can see the connection has been stable for over 3 days. Also there is a phone fault open with your phone supplier so we are unable to complete testing. Once they have rectified and closed the phone fault please get back to us if you still experience issues.]

(The phone fault is because yesterday all outgoing calls, after a long delay, were giving an engaged tone)
I've responded:
Your Response
10:57am, Monday 1 Apr 2013
Please stop looking at just the PPP drops (as reported by Radius) and check BT's system for loss of sync as well.
We don't get many incoming calls but here are some recent entries from my Router log:
<173> Mar 29 16:31:00 xDSL linestate down
<173> Mar 29 16:31:13 xDSL linestate up (ITU-T G.992.1; downstream: 7680 kbit/s, upstream: 832 kbit/s; output Power Down: 19.8 dBm, Up: 12.5 dBm; line Attenuation Down: 21.0 dB, Up: 13.5 dB; snr Margin Down: 6.1 dB, Up: 12.0 dB)
<173> Mar 31 10:42:51 xDSL linestate down
<173> Mar 31 10:43:05 xDSL linestate up (ITU-T G.992.1; downstream: 7616 kbit/s, upstream: 832 kbit/s; output Power Down: 19.8 dBm, Up: 12.4 dBm; line Attenuation Down: 21.0 dB, Up: 13.5 dB; snr Margin Down: 6.1 dB, Up: 12.0 dB)
These correspond to the last incoming calls. These are not shown in Visual radius.
I've just tried ringing my home phone from my mobile three times - the last time I didn't pick up the receiver:
<173> Apr 1 10:46:32 xDSL linestate down
<173> Apr 1 10:46:45 xDSL linestate up (ITU-T G.992.1; downstream: 7616 kbit/s, upstream: 832 kbit/s; output Power Down: 19.9 dBm, Up: 12.5 dBm; line Attenuation Down: 21.0 dB, Up: 13.5 dB; snr Margin Down: 6.1 dB, Up: 12.0 dB)
<173> Apr 1 10:48:03 xDSL linestate down
<173> Apr 1 10:48:18 xDSL linestate up (ITU-T G.992.1; downstream: 7552 kbit/s, upstream: 832 kbit/s; output Power Down: 19.9 dBm, Up: 12.3 dBm; line Attenuation Down: 21.0 dB, Up: 13.5 dB; snr Margin Down: 6.1 dB, Up: 12.0 dB)
<173> Apr 1 10:49:12 xDSL linestate down
<173> Apr 1 10:49:26 xDSL linestate up (ITU-T G.992.1; downstream: 7616 kbit/s, upstream: 832 kbit/s; output Power Down: 19.9 dBm, Up: 12.2 dBm; line Attenuation Down: 21.0 dB, Up: 13.5 dB; snr Margin Down: 6.1 dB, Up: 12.0 dB)

Please, please, please will someone educate the faults team that it is possible to have a dropping connection (loss of sync) which will disrupt a VPN session or a VoIP call but doesn't show up in the radius log (and hence visual radius).
Edit: Occurs to me that a 15 second break in all traffic wouldn't be great for gaming either!
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Really sorry about this Jelv.
I've got Steve to pick this back up for you under his personal ownership.
I've noted the feedback down and I'll pass this onto the Faults Managers to manage internally. You should receive a further update on the ticket shortly.
Anotherone
Champion

Whilst doing some testing recently I had seven losses of sync ranging between over an hour to two hours apart where there was no change of gateway or IP address so I deduce no loss of PPP - which I'll get someone to check when I provide the detail (I'll report all this in more detail in another relevant thread when I've done more appropriate testing - but it was not the drops mentioned in reply #39 - different modem/router).
BUT what I did observe was that every instance was apparently due to a loss of Upstream sync evidenced by the Bits/Tone plots where there was significant gaps and swaps on those tones. Downstream was quite normal.
So the hypothesis is that when there is a resync that was caused by loss of Upstream, threre's no loss of PPP session.
That's why I asked about the US bit swapping earlier.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Thanks for that information - I'll investigate. There's no swaps showing at the moment.