cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync drop from 20 Mb/s to 284k in 10 days !

broadbandjockey

Sync drop from 20 Mb/s to 284k in 10 days !

My mother in law moved ten months ago into a flat, next door to the local telephone exchange
Not surprisingly she had a sync speed of about 20 Mb/s.
About ten days ago the downstream speed started to slow, yesterday it had dropped to 576k. The noise margin has reciprocally increased, and was about 31dB.
Suspecting her router, I swapped it yesterday, for a spare one of mine. That kicked off at 576k too, hoping that perhaps the the original router had been faulty, I was rather hoping the speed would creep back up to 20 megs over the next few days, however within three hours the sync speed
dropped even further, it's now down to 288k.
Upstream has been unaffected throughout, about 1.1 to 1.2 Megs at 6dB margin.
No noise on phone line audio, and that's nice and clear
Router stats:-
DSL Status: UP
DSL Modulation Mode: Auto
DSL Path Mode: INTERLEAVED
Downstream Rate: 284 Kbps
Upstream Rate: 1100 Kbps
Downstream Margin: 31 db
Upstream Margin: 6 db
Downstream Line Attenuation: 17
Upstream Line Attenuation: 15
Downstream Transmit Power: 15
Upstream Transmit Power: 11
LOS Errors: 0
PVC Connection
PVC Status: UP
Encapsulation: RFC 2364 PPPoA
Multiplexing: VC
Autodetect: Disable
VPI: 0
VCI: 38
Ticket raised, 86856707 for any Plusnet
CS Staff lurkers 🙂 awaiting response, in the meantime, any ideas ?
7 REPLIES 7
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Sync drop from 20 Mb/s to 284k in 10 days !

Hi broadbandjockey,
I've just taken a look at the line and can see the high SNR on there, it's likely that you didn't see an increase in speeds due to <a href="http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/broadband-faults-guide-banding-guide/">Line Banding</a>.
I've removed the banding now and updated your Speed Profile. If you notice the speeds drop again, it'd be worth connecting an alternative microfilter and connecting to your <a href="http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/master-socket-guide.shtml#whatsTest">Test Socket</a>.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Mark,
Are there any other telephone extensions in the flat? If so has she plugged anything in without a filter (Sky boxes are a common culprit)?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
broadbandjockey

Quote from: Chris
Hi broadbandjockey,
I've just taken a look at the line and can see the high SNR on there, it's likely that you didn't see an increase in speeds due to <a href="http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/broadband-faults-guide-banding-guide/">Line Banding</a>.
I've removed the banding now and updated your Speed Profile. If you notice the speeds drop again, it'd be worth connecting an alternative microfilter and connecting to your <a href="http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/master-socket-guide.shtml#whatsTest">Test Socket</a>.

Thanks Chris,
Just remote accessed the router, and now running at 18997k d/s and 1099 u/s both at 6dB margins, and Fast Path (rather than Interleaved)
Jelv:
The flat has a master socket, that is unused. Wired from that (internally) are two extension sockets. One in the bedroom,unused, and one
in the living room. That has a microfilter 'dongle' this one:-
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=1652
And on the phone socket on it, is a Panasonic DECT phone base station
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You need to watch what is happening
I suggest checking the router stats when the phone is in use and also when it rings. If that causes problems the first thing is to try a different filter and if that doesn't fix it then try the same thing when in the test socket
xreyuk
Grafter

Are you sure she's not unplugging it at any point? I know a lot of people like to switch of their routers to save electricity, not realising the affect it can have on their line.
broadbandjockey

No, she won't have been doing that, (she doesn't touch anything without ringing me first !) and the 'uptime' showed no interruptions  
I'll pop over again, and swap the filter for another one I've got. I do suspect the original router though, she was complaining that her
ipad kept on locking onto the WifI network in the building's common room (which is just receivable in her flat)
She sits about 3 ft away from the router so WiFi signal is not an issue, though I think ipads will go off and find another WiFi network that's stored if the one they are tuned into loses internet connectivity ?  So that could be a Red Herring, if the loss of internet was due to something other than the router !
adie:quote
broadbandjockey

Quote from: Oldjim
You need to watch what is happening
I suggest checking the router stats when the phone is in use and also when it rings. If that causes problems the first thing is to try a different filter and if that doesn't fix it then try the same thing when in the test socket

Just done a test, ringing the phone, answering it, etc etc while I watch the router stats, and refesh the page every second, steady as a rock