Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync and speed dropped

stevegal
Grafter

Sync and speed dropped

Hi,
I've used BT Speedtester as my internet connection was slow. It reported download speed of 0.56Mbps, with my sync rate at 1.7Mbps. I normally sync at between 2.2-2.4Mbps.
Any ideas what's going on?
12 REPLIES 12
stevegal
Grafter

Re: Sync and speed dropped

A few more details... after rebooting the router now I have....  Still sync'ing slower than normal, but download speed seems to have recovered to 1.6 Mbps. Still not normal..... help! (its the thomson TG585 v8 router provided by plusnet than I have)
Uptime: 1 day, 10:00:22
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Channel mode: Interleave
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 740 / 1,952
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 704 / 1,888
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/MB]: 0.00 / 754.57
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 17.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.5 / 57.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 10.0 / 6.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 3 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 487 / 53,010
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 92 / 122
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 83 / 263
x47c
Grafter

Downstream output power looks a little low
Normally long lines run at the full 20dB - as they need it.
I wonder why the DSLAM has cut it back to 17.5?
Apart from that the stats seem normal to me
Do you have any recorded from when it was functioning better.....
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi stevegal,
Can you tell me if you're using any extension cables/sockets? Do you have a test socket you can plug into?
Jojo Smiley
stevegal
Grafter

I got my faceplate replaced a few months ago when a bt guy came out. Its on of those with the adsl connector directly on the faceplate (BT openreach) and my router is connected to that. I assume thats equivalent to connecting to the test socket with a filter?
stevegal
Grafter

and sorry, I don't have anything from when it was running more normally. it one of those things you don't think of doing... I'll know for next time!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quote from: stevegal
I got my faceplate replaced a few months ago when a bt guy came out. Its on of those with the adsl connector directly on the faceplate (BT openreach) and my router is connected to that. I assume thats equivalent to connecting to the test socket with a filter?
Only if there are no wires connected to the removable faceplate filter. If there are then you need to use the connection behind the filter via a normal dangly filter
stevegal
Grafter

eventually got round to connecting to the test socket directly...
Uptime: 0 days, 0:01:10
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 748 / 2,752
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 704 / 2,688
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 18.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.5 / 58.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 11.0 / 7.0
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 110 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 2 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 21 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 13
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 1 / NA
With a bt ip profile of  2.37 MbpsWith a bt ip profile of  2.37 Mbps. Much better!
but what now? Do I just live with no faceplate in the socket? Thoughts?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

That tells us something interesting
Using the normal socket with a resync at about 11.30am your sync rate was 1,888kbps
Using the test socket at with a resync at about 10.15pm your sync rate was 2,688kbps
So even though in the late evening you would expect a lower sync speed (higher noise levels on the line) you got a much higher speed so either your filtered faceplate has deteriorated or something in your house wiring is causing a problem
Which then leaves the question - are there any wires connected to the removable lower part of the master socket and, if so, how many
Also when comparing the two results were there any phones etc. connected to the telephone system when you took the stats
stevegal
Grafter

all the connections are the same now. I've just taken off the faceplate and connected the filter and plugged the phone line in as normal in the other part of the filter. I guess that means the faceplate is to blame?
Today my stats are:
Uptime: 3 days, 13:51:38
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 748 / 2,752
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 704 / 2,688
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/MB]: 0.00 / 941.40
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 18.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.5 / 58.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 11.0 / 5.0
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 110 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 2 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 65,536 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 1,158 / 131,121
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 228 / 623
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 185 / 2,777
so fairly stable. What do you think? New faceplate?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Are there any wires connected to the bit of the faceplate you removed
stevegal
Grafter

No wires. Just the plug to go into the main socket. The rest of it is a moulded unit that looks like it will break if I prise it apart.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I wouldn't do that. It sounds as though you may have been a bit unlucky when you resynced in the front socket, or you have an intermittent noise issue. Just keep an eye on things where you are in the test socket and if you see a change in your sync speed post some more stats.
Have a listen to your phone line as well. If you can hear any crackling noises when you use the phone, you should check that it's still there when you plug a corded phone straight into the Test socket. But as you may have an intermittent connection do the following if you need to do anything involving a loss of sync. In your case in the 10 or more minutes connect your corded phone to the test socket and check for noise.
Use this Disconnect method -
Do a Disconnect of your PPP Internet session with the ISP - you need to login to the modem/router interface and look for the Disconnect button to click on. On the Thomson modem/routers you will typically find it in the box marked Internet as shown here. Now wait a few minutes, power down. Then wait 10 minutes (during this time swap any filters, modem/router, connect to test socket, etc. - it doesn't matter if you take longer than 10 minutes) and then power up again (You may need to login to the modem/router and click on Connect to re-establish the PPP Internet session). Check the stats immediately (The Noise Margin [SNRM] shown is usually the current Target Noise Margin).
I usually recommend you do this no more than 5 times in an hour, and then leave it alone for the rest of the day.  Remember the reason for this procedure is to help prevent the exchange DLM from thinking you have a dropping connection (or a worse one than you may have).
You can user the Disconnect/Connect (without a power down) to Gateway hop.
If you can hear noise, whilst it is still there, phone your line rental provider and report a noisey phone line (don't mention the broadband or you get the run around). Get them to confirm they can hear the noise, ask them to log it and pass the fact that it's intermittent to the OpenReach engineer. If your line rental provider is Plusnet, they should be able to do a copper test there and then.