cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync all over the place

Jessica
Grafter

Sync all over the place

About 8 o’clock this evening I noticed that my connection was running dead slow, 135 – 170KB/sec.  I checked all that I could remember to check, then I noticed my gateway was saying I was connected at just 6815 (or something like that) since then it’s been 7584, 7424 and lots in between.  Why has it dropped from 7616?  Is this normal with Plusnet?
15 REPLIES 15
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Sync all over the place

Your sync speed has nothing to do with the ISP. The connection between you and the exchange is BT's responsibility and PlusNet have no influence or involvement.
Line conditions can vary, especially in cold or wet weather or there can be interference from other sources, so while not 'normal' it is also not unexpected.
James
Grafter

Hi Jessica,
The way that max works is that it will force the highest level of sync available.  If there is a bit of flucuation on the levels of noise the sync speeds will vary.
It's perfectly normal with Max and shouldn't be a cause for concern.  Mine fluctuates all the time.
chesterfield
Grafter

Have noticed something distinctly weird on mine too - but I very much doubt it has anything to do with Plusnet.
My downstream attenuation is and always has been about 54/55 and the SNR is stable on my router (dg834gt) at about 6db.  Synch is at 4000 ish.
Recently Ive noticed the synch drop as low as 3000 ish, but in conjunction, the Attenuation dropped to 15.  The SNR varys between 7db and 5db all the time, and this didnt change when the "fault" happened.
A reboot and sometimes the attenuation goes back to 55 sometimes it doesnt and stays at 15 while the SNr goes to 6 and the sync back to 3800 or so.
Then reboot again some time later and the attenuation goes to 55, the SNR to 6db and the speed just shy of 5000!
I have a sneaky feeling that my router could be on the way out, as the attenuation figure would suggest my line is fluctuating between 3km in length and 500m.  Im fairly certain my house isnt moving either.  Grin
Jessica
Grafter

Do you mean ‘normal’ for Plusnet?  I was with Pipex for three years on a ‘Max’ connection and it never moved off 7616.
I thought that after the initial 10 day training period it would stabilise.  It’s still jumping about.  Anywhere from 7360 to 7424.  It doesn’t get to 7616 at all.  Right now it 7488.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

As long as the rate stays above 7150 you'll always be getting the fastest profile that BT offer, so there isn't anything to worry about.
Hope that helps,
EDIT: Apologies, I've just read your other thread. If it doesn't settle please PM me and I'll take a look into it for you.
Jessica
Grafter

I've just done a speed test with Plusnet.   Seems to be running very slow.  Are you sure it's nothing to do with varible sync rates?
James
Grafter

Hi Jessica,
I've just tried giving you a ring so that I can try explaining how everything weorks as I think that'll be easier than various different forum conversations.
Could you send me a PM with a good number and times to call you?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: orbrey
As long as the rate stays above 7150 you'll always be getting the fastest profile that BT offer, so there isn't anything to worry about.

Is that strictly correct?
I thought that you needed to sync at 7968Kbps to achieve 7Mbps or
sync at 8128Kbps to achieve 7.15 Mbps.
See https://portal.plus.net/support/broadband/products/faqs_and_guides/dslmax_guide.shtml#Sync

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

James
Grafter

Yup.
You have to be syncing at 8128Kbps for BT to assign a 7150Kbps profile.
Above 7968kbps to get 7000Kbps or better.
Above 7392kbps to get 6500Kbps or better.
puddy
Grafter

I have the same problem as you and at the same time.
My sync dropped from 8128 rock solid since april 2007 to 7616.  BT have found no problems at my end i.e nothing to test the line on its own no sky,no alarm, no iffy filters etc.  Exchange is across the road and its a new house (4 years) and BT did all the internal wiring total length of wire is 350 feet direct in to the exchange.
Tried to use a spare router same sync so its not the router and BT say the line fine they came out and did a test for me.  They told me to call my isp and ask them to do a full re-set at their end!
Use to get the full 8.mg at 3am but speeds are now down to 0.5mg
Jill
[Moderator's note by Jonathan (chillypenguin):  Full quote of preceding post removed as per the forum rules ]
Jessica
Grafter

I now leave my gateway on 24/7.  I had to switch off and on several time to get it back to 7616.  If I switch off now and then back on, it syncs between 7424 and 7584.  It takes several re-sets to get it back to 7616.  Never had this problem with Pipex.
puddy
Grafter

results 4:30am on a monday morning used to get 7.5mg when sync 8128 3 weeks ago

puddy
(account=jillweekes)
James
Grafter

Jessica,
As long as you are syncing above 7392kbps you will not notice any difference in your IP Profile, so for all intents and purposes the fact that you are syncing at a slightly lower level will make absolutely no difference to your performance, although I would have hoped that you'll be seeing a better level of performance than you would have been seeing on Picali.
nadger
Rising Star

Reading comments on other sites it's possible that Piccalilli hadn't pickled her connection at that point. Wink