cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync Speed vs PN Server Download

red7
Grafter

Sync Speed vs PN Server Download

With a stable sync speed of 6000kps why do PN download speeds rarely exceed 3000kps?
[Moderator's note by Barry Zubel: Please refrain from posting titles in all caps as this is considered shouting.]
12 REPLIES 12
James
Grafter

Re: Sync Speed vs PN Server Download

Hi there.
There's loads of possible reasons, but the likely outcome is exchange contention.
It is possible however, that you can optimise your connection to give better download speeds.  Have a read of this tutoriasl about optimising MTU & rWin settings.
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/troubleshooting/rwin_video.shtml
Adam1V
Grafter

I would personally stay away from those settings. 9 times out of 10 it is usually capped by the place of download.
Try downloading a large file from microsoft.com I tend to get 500+kbs and a much lower rate everywhere else.
Of course content ratio is a key factor  Cool
James
Grafter

Adam,
Contention ratios don't exist on Max.  There's merely a lower priority of traffic on IPStream Max than IPStream Max Premium.
red7
Grafter

Hi Goria
Sorry about the Caps, I am new to forums. I am running Vista and dslreports.com advises against tweaking. Also the results download speeds are those quoted by the plusnet speed tester which I thought would be the maximum achievable.
Adam1V
Grafter

point taken gloria.
Red7, Im also using Vista and the only tweak I have done is disabled the horrid Vista network 'Auto Tuning' which can have a dramatic impact on mainly latency;
To disable it, run: “netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled”
To enable it, run: “netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=normal”
300kb still isnt a bad figure.
James
Grafter

Hi Adam,
I didn't edit you post, it was Barry, one of our Moderators Smiley  He's a customer, just like you.
Are you able to set MTU on your router?  I'd generally go with 1430, although 1500 should be alright.
zubel
Community Veteran

Also worthwhile checking that you're not using the Plusnet portal speedtester - it is notoriously unreliable.
Try the "new and improved" Plusnet speedtester at http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk
Also try the BT speedtester at http://speedtester.bt.com although this is often busy and unreliable itself.
Setting the MTU in your router as advised by the lovely Gloria may yield a performance increase, although the upshot may be that it is exchange contention causing the slowdowns.
I wonder what a speedtest at 4am would show  Grin
B.
bobbygeorge
Grafter

[quote=Barry Zubel ]Try the "new and improved" Plusnet speedtester at http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk
don't know how improved it actually is ...
my speeds rarely go over 1600kbps using that tester.
just ran a test on www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk

than again on www.speedtest.net

this is always the case
red7
Grafter

This is the result from speedtest.net

However, with a downstream link of 7136kps and an upstream of 448kps giving an IP profile of 6000kps I would expect better
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Faster speeds are possible!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
red7
Grafter

I decided to log off and reconnect which change my IP address from 87.114.129.226 to 87.113.70.103 and obtained a dramatic improvement in speed.

I do not understand why this should happen? Is it a matter of which PlusNet server you connect to?
zubel
Community Veteran

Looking at the graphs available here you can see the performance of each "gateway" on the Plusnet network
Every time you connection, you can be placed on any one of these.
Judging by the times of your speedtests, there is nothing out of the ordinary on any of the gateways.  However, simple congestion on a gateway doesn't necessary show clearly on the graphs.
It may have been "one of those things" that does happen occasionally - to quote the IT Crowd: "Have you tried turning it off and on again?"  Grin
B.