cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync Speed / Speed Problems - Ticket ID: 33917120

Timbob
Grafter

Sync Speed / Speed Problems - Ticket ID: 33917120

So I've been trying to get to the bottom of what basically amounts to a slow connection with the Plusnet Unlimited service. Made several phone calls back and forth on this ticket. The service has apparently been running slowly for some time, but I'm not really any kind of internet connectivity wizard and had this issue highlighted to me by a friend (who is also with plusnet and had been through a lengthy process solving a ping issue with his own service) who noticed my downloads were taking a long time. With the increasing size of downloads out there the slow speeds are becoming impractical (speeds of 130-180kb/s on most downloads), basically it's like I'm achieving < 1/4 of the speeds the line ought to be capable of (there's a man three doors down who has an 14m/bs connection! lol).
So, for an outline of what's happened up to now. I've gone through the process with the fault checker, and heard back from the PN guys that due to low sync speeds they needed to run some tests with the router connected at the test socket to rule out internal wiring issues. So I connected it up and awaited a response (did have to phone a few times before I got in touch with someone who could get the test done for me). According to the dialogue that happened the tests went mostly okay, but a further test with everything unplugged was requested. So I disconnected everything from the test socket, along with the upstairs microfilter where the router is usually connected. After this I connected the phone and router to the test socket with the upstairs socket disconnected still, which I was told suddenly brought the speeds up to the normal expected performance for the line. I was advised to leave the setup like that, and possibly replace the microfilter upstairs because it could be creating a bad circuit. However, I noticed that for me personally, without changing anything at all, the speed at this end seemed unchanged. I proceeded to replace the microfilter upstairs and connect the router there (this is where it usually connects into the wired home network), and still had the same problems. So while it may have appeared on the PN side of things that things had been solved, I was still not getting the performance I was expecting.
Some additional info about the setup and connection here:

• The router (BT Voyager 2110) connects to an upstairs socket so that cables from the first and second floor can hook in.

• The connection does seem to drop occasionally (maybe once every 24 hours) and then reconnect. I did forget to mention this initially in the ticket :S.

BT Speedtest result, after the supposed fix:
   Download speedachieved during the test was - 1138 Kbps
    For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 400-2000 Kbps.
  Additional Information:
    Your DSL Connection Rate :1440 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 256 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP Profile for your line is - 1250 Kbps

Incidentally this is the result the man three doors down gets, as a way of showing what the line is capable of. Smiley

So is there anything more I can do right now? Would like to get moving forward with some progress on this one. Do appreciate the help and contact from the fault people.
Summary of events:

• Fault Ticket Raised.

• Initial tests carried out, informed that the test socket needs testing.

• A few phone calls later, test socket tested as well as testing with nothing plugged in.

• 'Good' configuration found (on the PN side) with only the phone and router connected at test socket. Though strangely no visible improvement here, without changing anything.

• Replaced upstairs microfilter with a new one, and connected router there. No change (updated ticket to reflect this).

• Returned router to test socket, as advised. Waiting for the profile to raise over a period of 72 hours, as advised.

• Noticed a significant increase after a few hours, though this seemed to be temporary for now, as the speeds slowed down again to 1.31mb/s.

• After a few days the speeds using the test socket turned out to be fantastic. Meanwhile I've removed the ring wire and now the router is situated upstairs so I can see if that makes any difference.

15 REPLIES 15
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Sync Speed / Speed Problems - Ticket ID: 33917120

Hi Timbob,
your fault has been worked on and your ticket has been updated.

This is a test I've just carried out:
Downstream Link Info

Loop Loss Loop Loss Add Text SNR Margin ErroredSeconds HecErrors CellCount Speed
    24                                               10                 0             0    -76863435      7616

If you leave it plugged where it is the profile will lift
Jojo Smiley
Timbob
Grafter

Hi Jojo Smiley
Yes, I just phoned and was told to return the router to the test socket. I don't think I was made aware of any kind of delay that would impact the increase in performance (it's possible it was brought to my attention and I missed it). So now as discussed, it's all connected at the test socket, as per the good configuration we found last night (long cables and duct tape :p). So I'll be watching for the improvement over the next few days to a week and update here to report (hopefully) positive results.
I'll look into having the telephone wiring inspected, as I'd rather not have to have it all directly going into the test socket with the front panel hanging off.
Thanks again to the team for your help with this issue.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

In my last house, I had to leave it plugged into the test socket and it did look rather unsightly... so I moved the bookcase in front of it!
Jojo Smiley
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I'll look into having the telephone wiring inspected, as I'd rather not have to have it all directly going into the test socket with the front panel hanging off.

Check that the 'ring wire' isn't connected, see here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm, that is a major source of problems with internal wiring.
Providing the cabling is good quality twisted pair, connected securely, and only pins 2 & 5 are used, then there shouldn't really be a major problem with using an extension socket. Let's face it, an extra ~10m of cable shouldn't really make much difference when the length of the line to the exchange is likely to be >1km.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Timbob
Grafter

Thanks for the tip there MisterW. Will refer to that when the checks are being done.
On the subject of the actual performance increase (I know it hasn't been 72 hours yet) I just wanted to report that last night the speeds picked up significantly, from the 1.3mb/s I was seeing before to 5.49mb/s.

Today however, it's back to 1.31mb/s.

Is this something that would be considered normal when waiting for the profile to raise? Or is it possibly a sign that there's additional issues elsewhere?
All help much appreciated.
Timbob
Grafter

Okay after a few days of having it connected at the test socket, the performance increase was more that satisfactory. At times peaking over 12mb/s.

Now I have removed the ring wire and connected the router at the upstairs socket again, to see if that works as well.
I'm just wondering, will I have to wait a similar amount of time to see if this works, or will the initial speeds be indicative of what I can expect at this socket? Right not it's gone down to around 1.8-2mb/s.
Perhaps one of you lovely PN can tell me what I can expect, if anything, or whether I'll need to return it to the test socket?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Perhaps one of you lovely PN can tell me what I can expect, if anything, or whether I'll need to return it to the test socket?

You can check the stats from your router ( see here for how http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php ) from the extension socket and see how they differ from those in the test socket. You are mainly looking at the synch speed and noise margin,but also error counts are useful ( not sure if the 2110 shows them ).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Timbob
Grafter

Ah ok.
Well here we have the table shown from the extension socket:

Test socket comparison inc in a few...
Timbob
Grafter

Lol... quite a few more errors on the extension socket then. I suppose I'm facing the reality that it really has to go into the test socket. Or maybe I can somehow change where the line comes into the house and have the test socket upstairs. 😕
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Forget the errors - look at the difference in speeds and the attenuation figures
Your extension socket is crap
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Jim's right, I've never seen anything quite as bad as that!. You must have wet string, instead of wire, between the master socket and the extension.
You might expect maybe 1 or 2db increase in attenuation on a badly wired extension BUT 21db is incredible!. Unless you can sort out whatever is wrong with the wiring to the extension socket then I'm afraid its the test socket or nothing... 

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

...looks like you'll have to move that bookcase after all!!  Undecided
Timbob
Grafter

Okay.
But what's weird is that since hooking it back up to the test socket. Speeds have remained slow again.  Undecided
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

What are the router stats looking like now? You won't see an instant increase in the actual speed you get as it takes 3 days for the profile to increase following an improvement in sync.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.