cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync Drop: looking for an explanation

itlity
Grafter

Sync Drop: looking for an explanation

After I moved to 8Mb/s, during about 4-5 months I had a sync of about 8Mb, firm 8Mb/s & no problem -SNR was about 6 so not great.
Starting late July I had every couple of days a problem to connect: sync was OK but I was unable to connect to Internet -same issue with 2 routers I have. I reported the fault on a regular basis and eventually mid-August a BT guy came over to run a test.
Since the synch speed is 6.6 maximum and SNR about 11.5.
According to the BT guy, he only run a test sequence and idn't change anything. According to PN, nothing was done on their side and the line is not capped.
I stop all devices every night and re-start them in the morning. I was then naively expecting to return to "my" 8Mb/s after a while, but nothing to date.
As my synch is "not bad", I am not allowed to receive an explanation. To some extend I appreciate as there are certainly more urgent issues to deal with.
However, I am not happy with that and would be so pleased if someone could help me to understand.
Thanks in advance.
9 REPLIES 9
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Sync Drop: looking for an explanation

Starting late July I had every couple of days a problem to connect: sync was OK but I was unable to connect to Internet -same issue with 2 routers I have. I reported the fault on a regular basis and eventually mid-August a BT guy came over to run a test.

Basically you had at that time an intermittent sync fault, in order to remedy this BT have stabilised the SNR on the exchange equipment, setting this at a constant 11.5dB. It is possible to request that they change this but unfortunately it involves raising a fault on your line as we have no other way of getting this adjusted. If you raise a speed fault via the wizard. and in the comments box at the end explain that you would like your SNR adjusting to 9dB we will be able to action this for you.
I suggest 9 because 6 was unstable, I would not recommend dropping the SNR any further as intermittent sync may return. If you advise of the ticket number of the fault in this thread I will be able to ensure it gets picked up for you.
itlity
Grafter

Thanks a lot for the explanation.
I am going to raise the ticket.
grahamb1

I don't understand all this technical stuff.  All I know is that I am having frequent problems in getting online.
I have to reset my router every time I try to log on, and the connection is often lost, requiring another router reset.  On Saturday night (September 15), I couldn't get on at all.  It's driving me crazy!  I don't know if the fault is with my router, with BT or with Plusnet.  Can Anyone please help this computer novice to resolve this issue?
Thanks
Graham Brookbanks
Quote from: itlity
After I moved to 8Mb/s, during about 4-5 months I had a sync of about 8Mb, firm 8Mb/s & no problem -SNR was about 6 so not great.
According to the BT guy, he only run a test sequence and idn't change anything. According to PN, nothing was done on their side and the line is not capped.
I stop all devices every night and re-start them in the morning. I was then naively expecting to return to "my" 8Mb/s after a while, but nothing to date.
As my synch is "not bad", I am not allowed to receive an explanation. To some extend I appreciate as there are certainly more urgent issues to deal with.
However, I am not happy with that and would be so pleased if someone could help me to understand.
Thanks in advance.
itlity
Grafter

You should create a separate/dedicated POST for your support request.
In your request you should indicate at least the following details:
  i) how is connected your PC to the router/modem -e.g. USB or 10Mb/s or 100Mb/s- and possible other connections e.g. another PC, ... Just to allow to discriminate if the problem comes from your LAN
  ii) OS of your PC, router and modem brand and type and the type of broadband connection you've subscribed to
  iii) depending on the router, on the "basics" or "home" page, you should have some details as: data rate downstream AKA synch speed, and data rate upstream
In addition you should be more precise about the problem you have: what you've done when a problem occurs, what you can't then do, ...
However, if you really feel something is not going right, you could simply raise a fault using your PlusNet account. May be that should be the 2nd action once somebody has helped to clear the basic possible issues.
James
Grafter

There's nothing wrong with running the fault checker as an initial diagnostic, partly because it offers some suggestions to try along the way which may help introubleshooting measures to try.
I do agree though, too much information is better than too little.  Still shout up on here and we'll do what we can to help.
itlity
Grafter

As requested by Orbrey, I raised a ticket to amend "my" SNR to 9. Ticket number is 22861524.
Thanks in advance!
James
Grafter

Hi Itlity,
I've raised a fault to BT and updated your ticket.
itlity
Grafter

Just to put that back on the top: I haven't got any SNR modification to date though I was told this shouldn't take more than a couple of days.
Any chance to chase BT on that one?
Thanks in advance.
James
Grafter

Hi there,
Sorry for the delays that you are currently seeing.  I'm reraising this with BT for you and should have an update fairly shortly.