cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec finds a virus that PlusNet missed

madjbright
Grafter

Symantec finds a virus that PlusNet missed

I received this e-mail this morning that PlusNet verified as Virus free but which Symantec removed a virus from when it reached me. Does the PlusNet virus checker need updating?
Symantec AntiVirus found a virus in an attachment from keith-muncan@cda-maastricht.nl.
Attachment:  Part-2.zip
Risk: W32.Netsky.Z@mm
Action taken:  Cleaned by Deletion
File status:  Cleaned by Deletion
Important!
--
This email has been verified as Virus free Virus Protection and more available at http://www.plus.net
5 REPLIES 5
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Symantec finds a virus that PlusNet missed

I've had one or two in the past that my Kaspersky picked up.
It happens but is rare. Even the best AV app doesn't pick up everything.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

"Even the best AV app doesn't pick up everything."
True. That being the case isn't it daft to mark something "verified as Virus free"?  All one can in fact claim is that a file has been scanned and no virus found.
Strat
Community Veteran

Agreed Alan.
It is quite an absolute statement by PN but maybe people would lose confidence if the statement read:
This email has been verified as Virus free as far as we can tell but don't quote us because in common with all other applications of this type our Anti-Virus software is not perfect. Virus Protection and more available at http://www.plus.net
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Verification simply means checked to the best standard available. It wouldn't be necessary if there weren't so many people going onto the internet with insecure computers.
If you have a variety of virus checking software you are bound to get a variety of different answers.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Strat
Community Veteran

Quote from: axisofevil
Verification simply means checked to the best standard available.

Definition: v. t. - To prove to be true or correct; to establish the truth of; to confirm; to substantiate.
But of course your second sentence is quite correct unfortunately and your third simply substantiates my comment on that subject.
We are however in danger of drifting off topic so may we agree to differ Smiley