cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching to fibre TP-Link TD-W8970

NorthernNoel

Switching to fibre TP-Link TD-W8970

Had my switch over from ADSL yesterday. Connection seems to work fine on the plusnet router but wanting to switch back to my old one and can't get connected. From what I understand it supports dsl connections, plugged the network cable into port 4, network activity light works and updated the settings to the pppoe ones. However no matter what I do it won't connect. On the status it tells me dsl disconnected and the connect button is greyed out. Am I missing something obvious?
5 REPLIES 5
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Switching to fibre TP-Link TD-W8970

I believe you need to change the routers Operation Mode ( page 17/18 of the manual ) from 'ADSL Modem Router Mode' to 'Wireless Router Mode' . That will allow it to use the EWAN port rather than the DSL port.
Hope that helps

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi NorthernNoel,
Welcome to the Forums! Smiley
Have you managed to get connected with your other router?
NorthernNoel

Thanks, got to the bottom of it. I'd switched it over to Wireless Router Mode but this didn't give me an obvious place to enter my username and password so I'd run through the setup wizard. When selecting PPPOE it changes the device back to ADSL Modem Router Mode. In the end I found the manual setting under Network/WAN Settings where there's a drop down menu for connection type to select PPPOE.
As a side note it's a shame that the plusnet router is so basic. I'd bet that many would see an improvement in connection speed just by changing the router over. Even the BT Openreach contractor who did the install commented on the poor performance that they give. I've gained an extra 20mb according to speedtest.net.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Glad to hear you managed to sort it Smiley
Our router is designed to suit most of our customer base. I guess it all depends on what you want from it.
My sync rate is 74Mbps and I use our FTTC router with the BT OpenReach modem and get 72-73Mbps when I'm connected via Ethernet so I've never felt the need to test other routers to see if they'd improve my speed at all. I wonder what the contractor who did your install would say about my setup in that case! Smiley
I'm glad that your other router has improved your speed though.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Thanks, got to the bottom of it.
Glad you got it working. Smiley

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.