cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching to Tiscali help

familydrewett
Dabbler

Switching to Tiscali help

I have recently found out that Tiscali are currently offering the cheapest broadband and phone combo at £19.99(first 3 months £14.99). For this you get Up to 8Mb unlimited broadband, Free wireless router, Free phone line rental, Free anytime UK phone calls, Free anytime international landline calls.
I was just wondering would i be able to bargain with plusnet and get them to match this or get close to this offer.
Also does anyone know how easy it is to move from plusnet to tiscali?
Thanks in advance
Regards
James
19 REPLIES 19
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Switching to Tiscali help

Just don't do it. Crazy
PlusNet won't dream of matching it because on every measure except price there is no comparison.
Moving Broadband to any other supplier is just a matter of requesting a MAC code and passing it over. If you have a phone package too I guess it's not so easy.
familydrewett
Dabbler

Would they not even up the broadband usage? as 1gb is pretty poor.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I really suggest you do some checking before making this move.
from here http://www.tiscali.co.uk/products/talk/?code=ZZ-NL-11XY&srccode=COD_590 bottom of page
For up to 60 minutes per call to UK numbers beginning 01, 02 & 03 and to landlines in Tiscali's top 10 countries.

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/legal/fair-usage-policy/
Have a read over at thinkbroadband
And note that it is a 12 month contract so once there you are stuck as the cooling off period finishes before you get connected - good isn't it
Product information:
    * A minimum 12 month contract applies.
    * All products have a 10-day cooling off period from the day of registration.
    * Tiscali order process usually takes between 10-15 days.
familydrewett
Dabbler

To be honest all i'm after is broadband and phone at a reasonable price with good broadband usage. At the moment i'm on the old 2nd plusnet package, £14.99 a month 4gb peak unlimited off peak, that usage is fine.
I'm not too clued up on all the internet providers and the finer details of the deals.
After hearing about the tiscali deal i just wanted some advice/help.
cajef
Grafter

Quote from: familydrewett

Don't do it, Tiscali have just about the worst reputation of any ISP for for service and reliability.
beano
Grafter

Quote from: Hobo

Don't do it, Tiscali have just about the worst reputation of any ISP for for service and reliability.

Beat me to it. I was with Tiscali up to last Octoberish. Definitely wouldn't recommend them. I couldn't do P2P or online gaming (including my Wii/PS2) for large chunks of the day (sometimes from about 2-3 in the afternoon through to midnight or 1am).
And their technical support is on a premium rate number.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Have a look at:  www.thinkbroadband.com and see what they have to say about Tiscali in their forums.  You can also compare a number of ISPs under the 'comare broadband' link where they are rated for speed, reliability and customer service. Tiscali don't rate well.
familydrewett
Dabbler

Thanks for all your responses.
Have been searching the net for ages now to find out about all the various isp's.
I now realise how crap tiscali are!
I think that my best bet is to get sky broadband. Which for £5 a month is pretty good, and although their has been a few gripes about their service for £5 a month you can't complain.
Not applicable

[snip]...for £5 a month you can't complain.

Thats what Sky are hoping!
I know a few peeps on Sky's IPStream product (ie, £5 per month, rather than the free LLU offering) who are desperate to change ISPs.
One chap I visited last week syncs at 8128Mbps with a high SNR and low Attn, and so should benefit from the best any IPStream ISP can offer.
He gets around 2Mbps from Sky - as long as its not 'just when everybody is getting to work and checking their emails' or 'just when everybody is getting home from work and checking their emails' (his words).
He's looking likely to be moving to an ADSL 2+ ISP in the next couple of weeks. Grin
familydrewett
Dabbler

So i wont be on the LLU with sky mid broadband?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

that depends on your exchange see http://www.samknows.com/broadband/search.php
coastergrotto
Grafter

Speaking personally, I couldn't be more happier with PlusNet.  I think their customer service is extremely good for a broadband provider and this forum is a really great 'tool' for getting information.
I know my son had major issues with his connection but at least Plusnet did investigate his problem which dragged on for months but the problem actually lay with BT.      I wonder how he would have got on had he been with Tiscali, Sky etc. etc.
Heloman
Grafter

Over the years I've been with BT Internet, LineOne (Tiscali) , Freeserve (Wanadoo) and a couple of others.
Two years ago I discovered PlusNet and can't think of any reason that might want to make me leave.
Ok, email has been a problem in a number of ways but I have alternatives..
Otherwise, from every aspect - price, customer service, openess about Ts & Cs, customer service, reliabilty, customer service,
etc - they are second to none.
greyposter
Grafter

I'll stay here as well.Better the devil you know and it works.