cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching to Fibre

denwyn
Rising Star

Switching to Fibre

Just thinking of switching to from our Plusnet Broadband to the unlimited fibre, bit of a problem with the location of the BT modem and plusnet router, at present the broadband router is behind the TV, with a telephone extension cable connecting it to the master socket, the main computer is connected by a network cable to upsatairs and it all works fine. The master socket cable goes through the wall to outside and connects into a BT junction box , what do you think my chances are to get the Installer to move this master socket to upstairs by the computer, there is a BT external cable already running from this junction box to the computer, it did have a router connected years ago but was never very good, lots of line noise on it, i was hoping he could just replace this and i could just have one master socket, its not difficult, about 8 meters of cable in total, easy access,no holes to drill for cables. The old socket downstairs can be disconnected, one master socket for the house is fine, all the phones are wireless from one base unit.    If this is not possible we could have a problem, as getting a ethernet cable from the BT modem to the new fibre router behind the TV is more or less impossible, it cant go under the carpet, the floors are solid, there is a large chimney breast and fireplace in the way, clipping it to the skirting's ect is not an option as her indoors wont have that, i could i suppose run my own ethernet cable in a small trunking up through upstairs into the loft and down to by the computer and place the router there and leave the modem by the old master socket, its a lot of work though. If i have to put my own cable in, what cable do i need to buy, and will the installer fit the plugs on the ends, as i am not sure if i could do this. I'm told it costs upwards of £160 to just have a master socket moved normally by BT, looking at
it am sure its only a hours work. Do you think i have any chance in getting the master socket moved on installation day ?
2 REPLIES 2
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Switching to Fibre

This might interest you...
Plusnet Fibre Optic Broadband Service Terms
What we provide
    The equipment we agree to give you includes a:
        suitable fibre-capable router
        data extension kit (required only if there is no double power socket near your telephone master socket). If required, the engineer will ask for your agreement to install during his installation visit.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
thesawdust
Grafter

Re: Switching to Fibre

They should move near router? So yeah have a little word when BTOR visit. Smiley