cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching to ADSL2+ seems to have resulted in connection speed drop.

hadden
Grafter

Switching to ADSL2+ seems to have resulted in connection speed drop.

My connection was switched to ADSL2+ on 16th August, 2010.
Before that, my downstream connection speed was reasonably stable at about 4500-4700 kbps, and so with an almost constant 4000 kbps profile.
Now, the downstream connection speed has settled at 3700-3900 kbps and my profile has just managed to get back up from 2500 kbps to 3000 kbps.
As the drop in speed seemed to happen about two weeks after switching to ADSL2+, is it reasonable to assume that this is a "feature" of ADSL2+ or is it likely to be a fault that coincidentally started at about the same time?
I swapped the router temporarily a couple of weeks ago, but that made no difference to the speed.
I've attached graphs of my last 6 months of log data showing the patterns of sync speed and SNR.
3 REPLIES 3
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Switching to ADSL2+ seems to have resulted in connection speed drop.

Hi JohnJ,
I'd like to perform some checks on your account and run some line diagnostics. Could you please reply with a ticket number (if you've raised one) or PM me with your username.
Adam.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi John,
After looking at your account and performing some diagnostics. I can see that your line has quite hight attenuation at around 49db this means that on 21CN you would only get up to around 3 or 4mb.
It's entirely up to yourself but you might want to consider a move back to 20cn to see if things improve.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
hadden
Grafter

Hi Adam
Thanks for checking this.
When I requested switching to ADSL2, in August, it was on the basis that I may get a slight increase in speed, as the various information available online (eg Kitz) indicated that I should expect a slight increase in speed for my attenuation (I was assuming 50dB, as it wanders between 49 and 50dB).
However, the reality says something about the reliability of the estimates.
Before posting this topic, I was considering making a request to a switch back to ADSL1, so I readily agree with what you say about that.
Can you please arrange for that to be ordered, or do you want me to raise a ticket?