Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching router off for electrical work

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Switching router off for electrical work

Sorry, had meant to post back sooner about the cable in the first box picture that goes to the master. The wire colours are wrong for CW1308 twisted pair cable. They are the same colours are the old standard BT cable, but that had a grey shealth, and when the cream sheathed version was introduced all the insulation was a bit thinner so the overall diameter of the cable was smaller. That cable looks too new and the colours are too "glossy" for want of a better way of describing it. Most 'Alarm/Security system' 4-core cable has Red, Black, Yellow & Blue for the colours from most manufacturers/suppliers but there is this and this around from cheap chinese sources
How far is it from that box to the master socket? I'll send you a PM as well.
nickascii
Grafter

Well I've manged to disconnect the bell wire and everything is still working  Smiley though speed doesn't appear to have increased yet.
I'm away for a few days now and having some electrical work done at weekend. I'll tell sparky to turn router off for the day.
Not heard of CW1308 but I have a big roll of cat 5 spare somewhere (not sure if it's solid core or stranded) if that is any good?
Went through a phase of trying to make my own network cables but  had mixed results so tend to buy them these days.
The 4 core cable from wall to master is about 10 meters I'd say, definitely white sheath and quite thin, maybe installer skimped a bit on quality  Angry
jem16
Grafter

Quote from: nickascii
Well I've manged to disconnect the bell wire and everything is still working  Smiley though speed doesn't appear to have increased yet.

It won't change that quickly - what do the current stats show?
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

If your sync rate is to change, it will change instantly. The bRAS profile will take time to increase though, and thus so will your throughput.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Anotherone
Champion

Me thinks Tony has forgotten that the immediate change will be in SNRM which should have increased if the connection didn't drop Wink
As jem16 has mentioned , if you can post the full stats. TG582n Full DSL stats will take you there via the login screen the we can see what it's looking like.
Re:the cable, yes it could have been a sub-contractor, not especially local - Kelly Communications perhaps? Let's see how the performance goes before considering anything else.
nickascii
Grafter

Current stats:
Link Information

Uptime: 1 day, 3:36:25
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,211 / 17,927
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 127.35 / 1.71
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.1 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 8.8 / 17.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 5.8 / 3.1
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 67 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 33 / 136
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 11 / 271
Anotherone
Champion

Hmm, disappointing. There are obviously other factors having a greater impact than the bell-wire as there's no noticeable change.
Unless anyone needs to use your connection before you get back, I suggest you ask the electrician to leave the modem/router off and you switch it on in daylight hours, ideally at least and hour after sunrise and at hour before sunset when background noise levels should be lower. If that's not convenient, then doing a graceful disconnect and powering back up in the day time would be next best.
And then post the full DSL stats again.