cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching from Sky BB to Plusnet Fibre and have a couple of questions...

ScottJames
Grafter

Switching from Sky BB to Plusnet Fibre and have a couple of questions...

Hey everyone
Last Friday fibre finally became available on my local exchange. So I placed an order with plusnet that day, and got all my confirmation emails. Now I just have a bit of a wait until the 8th of Jan for everything to be sorted, as I am changing my line eventual over as well. So the first question is do I have to notify Sky that I am moving or is this something that plusnet takes care of? Also on my order tracker page it is on the section for "Activating your line" and it should complete o the 8th of Jan. Is there any chance that it can actually complete earlier then that?
Thanks for any help with these questions  Smiley
9 REPLIES 9
reid1234
Dabbler

Re: Switching from Sky BB to Plusnet Fibre and have a couple of questions...

Hi I am by no means an expert in these things so don't hold me to my word. I did however recently go though a similar thing in that I had ADSL with another company until I saw that fibre was available and ordered with plusnet. After I ordered, it I didn't really progress at all until I phoned them up a few days later and was told that I need to provide a MAC code before the order could be placed. This made sense but I though mac codes where for phone lines only, turns out I was wrong. Anyway what you will probably need to do is phone/get in contact with sky and ask for your MAC code from them. Once you get this code from sky and give it to plusnet then plusnet do much of the rest of the transfer. Sky should will be informed when the plusnet broadband goes live and they should automatically cancel your service after this. You shouldn't really have to do much after giving the MAC code to plusnet.
ScottJames
Grafter

Nice one. Looks like I need to get in contact with Sky tonight and try and get my MAC code. Don't want to slow my order down in anyway, as my connection speed with Sky seems to be all over the place at the moment! Did you change your line rental over the plus net as well? If you did how long did it take?
Thanks again  Smiley
ScottJames
Grafter

Sky are saying that I don't need a MAC code to move?

Hey Everyone
Called Sky tonight to get my MAC code so that I could pass it on to Plusnet, and they had a look and said that I don't need a MAC code. Just wondered if this is normal?
Thanks  Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Sky are saying that I don't need a MAC code to move?

If your line is LLU that is correct
ScottJames
Grafter

Re: Sky are saying that I don't need a MAC code to move?

Thanks Oldjim. Just wanted to check that this info was correct, and my order wouldn't get put back because of some wrong information!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Two topics merged for tidiness  Lips_are_sealed
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

This thread shows there is/was still some confusion about needing a MAC to move from Sky.
I note that the OP is asking about a phone service as well but it's not clear if they've ordered a line from PN - It's vital that arrangements are in place to get a line as you'll need a phone line from a provider who uses BT Wholesale as their provider in order to use PN broadband.
dragon2611
Grafter

With Mine I didn't need a MAC just ordered with Plusnet and they moved both the broadband and phone over.
Although In my case I already had FTTC with Sky
Only problem I did have was I waited in all day for a BT engineer who didn't turn up and then it turned out as I already had FTTC I didn't even need one in the first place they were able to switch it over without a visit.  Shocked
NedLudd
Grafter

When I moved from Sky LLU to PN Fibre last year I didn't even need to inform Sky. No MAC code was asked for by PN.
Both phone and BB were transferred without any input from me. Fibre happened first and the phone followed about an hour later.
Geoff,
York.