Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching from Sky ADSL to PlusNet Fibre Questions

Aeggil
Dabbler

Switching from Sky ADSL to PlusNet Fibre Questions

Hi All,
As topic says, I am switching from Sky ADSL to PlusNet Fibre and I have a couple of questions.
Primarily, the BT engineer is scheduled to come tomorrow morning (the 5th) between 8am-1am, but my account says my fibre won't be active until after 12pm on the 6th, is that likely to be right? When (if) will my existing ADSL get switched off?
I am also slightly worried that as I am switching products as well as provider that the switch won't go smoothly or that my old service won't be cancelled automatically. I did provide a MAC code, but I've read reports that MAC isn't used when switching products.
Thanks in advance for any info/advice.
Russ
3 REPLIES 3
fiscelan
Grafter

Re: Switching from Sky ADSL to PlusNet Fibre Questions

Hi
Also switched from Sky ADSL to PN fibre a few days ago.
No need of a MAC key.
Moreover you need to cancel your BB with Sky when though they may try to retain you saying you could be liable for disconnection charges which is not true.
PN does not not notify them automatically you are switching.
Your BB should be available as soon as the engineer does its work in the cabinet and come to install the OpenReach modem.
Hope this helps!
Regards
Vincent
Aeggil
Dabbler

That's excellent, thanks mate, just the kind of answer I was looking for!
You confirmed what I suspected...that I need to cancel with Sky myself.
Thanks, Russ
Aeggil
Dabbler

Today is my install day so an update...
I got bombarded with emails this morning from plusnet and sky lol. But basically, the interesting email was from Sky notifying me that my broadband would be cancelled automatically on the 19th.....I think this is about 1 month after I ordered with plusnet / requested mac from Sky. It is also the date that my phone line is due to be switched to plusnet.
I'm not sure if it was because I requested a MAC, whether Plusnet used it or not (I understand it's not used when moving from ADSL to Fibre), but somehow they did get the cancellation request. I just wanted to update this thread in case any other Sky movers find it useful Smiley
As for the service, straight off the bat I have 73mb down and 17mb up and 15ms Ping according to speedtest.net....awesome! But then I can see the cabinet about 150m away from my lounge window.
Within minutes of turning it on i got an odd result, download was 15mb and upload was higher on 17mb lol, installer said he'd never seen that before, but it soon settled down and went up within 10 minutes.
Russ