cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching from BT

johnny321

Switching from BT

Can someone who has done this please advise.
Our BT broadband is up May 6th and last night I was on the point of payment to pnet (for bb and phone), but thought that I would do the chat thing first just to confirm that the service would start on or around this date (May 6 was offered as a starting date in a drop down menu on the order).
The advisor was unable to confirm when a service would commence, leaving open the possibility that early termination fees would apply if started before May 6, but added that if the line were to be cut by BT before another service started, then a fee would need to be paid to reconnect!
As you probably know BT bill you in advance for line rental - it would be nice to order a service, have a switch date arranged and receive a final bt bill, rather than having to get into the disputed bill scenario.
Is there any way to achieve this?
Thanks.
johnny
3 REPLIES 3
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: Switching from BT

Probably not, I switched from BT last year, the best advice I can give is not to speak to BT, give Plusnet at least 30 days as BT require 30 days notice to cancel and you don't want to pay twice. Watch out for BT trying to charge you cancellation fees, they tried it on with me, but eventually refunded everything.
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

I usually wait till I'm out of contract, then go onto monthl by month rolling contrast, then migrate. Talk to PN in your case don't say anything to BT unless they screw up  Roll_eyes
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

The thing you should never do it tell your old supplier when you are leaving, and certainly never tell them to cancel your service (whoever they are), that is when things will go wrong if the migration doesn't happen for some reason on the date you hope - you could lose your phone number!
Always leave it to your new supplier, they automatically notify your old supplier "through the system" (unless you are coming from something like Virgin Media cable). All you need to do is make sure the migration date is after any contract term with the old supplier has ended. Suppliers are no longer allowed to "roll you over" onto a new contract, you automatically go onto the standard suppliers minimum notice period which may vary slightly from supplier to supplier.
BT, or any supplier, should automatically refund you anything paid in advance that is not used, eg. line rental (as long as that is not on any separate long term contract), on the final bill which you will get after migration.
Note: The minimum switching period is 14 days, so I would be inclined to leave placing your order with Plusnet until after 14 days before your BT contract expires, but note migration might take more than 14 days if it's not straight forward - but if it's ADSL to ADSL, or Fibre to Fibre, and BT phone service to Plusnet Phone service, it should not be a problem.