cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspect broadband is banded

pwetherhill

Suspect broadband is banded

Ive had a proper nightmare after a house move. When i arranged the move three weeks ago, i was promised up to 41mbps through ADSL. A week ago i got an email saying that my local exchange 'didnt have enough sockets until the 31 Mar 2017" and as such i would recieve a lower speed broadband. 

Well. 

After another week i finally got connected. Router is reporting 1.1mbps, BT broadband checker is reporting less. 

Phone line is new, im in the test socket and connected directly by Ethernet cable with nobody else connected via WIFI. Can anyone at plusnet check my connection status on the system? This speed is slower than my phone on one bar of 3G and nowhere near what i was promised. Shoddy at best.

Username is the same as my forum one. 

6 REPLIES 6
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Suspect broadband is banded

ADSL has a maximum speed of around 20Mbs down.

Fibre (VDSL) has higher speeds depending on which product you selected.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
pwetherhill

Oops, wrote 41 instead of 21. 

Banding:

WBC 576k - 1M 576kbps to 1152kbps

Coincidentally im getting:

Downstream: 1.125 Mbps
Upstream: 288 Kbps

To quote Plusnet on their welcome email:

4Mbps to 8Mbps

pwetherhill

Well, guess what?

Finally got through to a guy at plusnet today and he confirmed.. i was banded at 1mbps. 

So he removes the band and reckons within 2 hours itll be normal. 

guess what?

no change 8 hours later.

sigh

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

It's not a straightforward case of banding imposed by the DLM. You've been incorrectly provisioned on a fixed rate 1Mb service. The clue is the 288k upstream.

Just keep contacting Plusnet until you get through to someone who knows what they're doing.

pwetherhill

The guy I was part of online chat with just said it was restricted to 1mbps. He did however say it had been lifted, and then when I asked what I was limited to now he said no limit was applied. I suppose time will tell, if no joy I'll end up back to online chat again I suppose.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I think ejs is correct.

I'm 99% certain you have been provisioned on the fixed speed 1Mbps product. It needs someone to place an order on the BT systems to re-provision you on the correct product - this will be at least an overnight order I think. There is no point in waiting to see if it improves - it won't until the order is placed.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)