cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support request

Freefall123
Dabbler

Support request

I was connected to unlimited fibre on the 17th so my 10 days training are up now,
Estimated line speed:
    29Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2013-01-06 10:27:36
Current line speed:
    24 Mb
I am getting downloads of 21 -22 Mb at any time of day but I am concerned that I may have screwed up the line training as I had to power off the modem and router on the first day  to  rearrange power connecters and wires the OR engineer had left as a mess and subsequently a couple of more times over the following days to try and improve my speed to be nearer the quoted 29Mb.
Would it be possible to restart  line  training as I fear a cap of 24Mb has been applied because of my disconnections ? It would certainly put my mind at rest as I would like to eak out every last drop of speed from my  disappointing max of 29Mb.
Thanks
Freefall
12 REPLIES 12
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Support request

Hi Freefall,
To reset a fibre line requires an engineer to do this, it cannot be done remotely by us. I've checked your line and there's nothing restricting your speeds.
It looks like your line has synced at the speed since you've had it installed. You could try a re-sync by logging into your router and click disconnect then power down your router and modem for a few minutes. If you can then power back on your modem and wait for the DSL light to become stable, power your router back on and login and click connect. See if there is any difference.
But you don't need to worry about your line as it looks fine.

Freefall123
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply. i had already tried disconnecting and restarting as you suggested, I just felt that 22Mb download speed is too great a difference to the predicted speed of 29Mb ( 70%) and I am concerned that my initial powering off had  convinced the training to cap my speed at 24Mb thinking there were errors above that - could that not be the case?
Otherwise predicting 29Mb +/- 1Mb is tantamount to false advertising as a few others have said on this forum already.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'd see how your speeds go over the next few days. The original line speed we've provided is an estimate and there are occasions where this can be higher or lower than the estimate given.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

What router are you using & are you connecting wirelessly?
Freefall123
Dabbler

Quote from: chrispurvey
I'd see how your speeds go over the next few days. The original line speed we've provided is an estimate and there are occasions where this can be higher or lower than the estimate given.

Well its never been higher and the nearest its been to 29Mb was 24Mb on the first day only - hence my request for retraining
Freefall123
Dabbler

Quote from: tijara33
What router are you using & are you connecting wirelessly?

connectng via a gigabit switch all by ethernet with the Technicolor TG582n FTTC
mushy
Grafter

Where you state the current line speed as 24mbps, is that from plusnet in your member centre ? PN should be able to adjust that no problem.
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Run s BT speedtest and post the piture of the BT IP Profiles from running the first test then further diagnostics
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Where you state the current line speed as 24mbps, is that from plusnet in your member centre ? PN should be able to adjust that no problem.

Indeed we can, however unless the BT IP profile increases changing ours will do nothing.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
mushy
Grafter

Hi Chris
Thats why i also asked for the BT Profile to be done to check the difference  Smiley
Freefall123
Dabbler

FAQ
Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download Speed
21.56 Mbps

0 Mbps 24.2 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 21.56 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 16 Mbps-24.2 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 24.2 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
4.3 Mbps

0 Mbps 20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 4.3Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
Now you can see I'm only getting 21Mb compared to the original estimate of 29Mb +/- 1Mb, quite a difference
dick:quote
Freefall123
Dabbler

Quote from: chrispurvey
Hi Freefall,
To reset a fibre line requires an engineer to do this, it cannot be done remotely by us. I've checked your line and there's nothing restricting your speeds.

Thats what I am requesting you to do, get an engineer to do a reset, so I can rerun the training in period and have a speed that more closely represents the speed I was quoted before I signed up. If after doing this nothing has changed I will accept the situation and put up with for the the year and half I have signed up for.
Thank You
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

To do this you'd need to raise a fault via http://faults.plus.net so our faults team can if they feel needed instigate this and also see if anything thing can be done remotely.