cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support Tickets: Hello is there any body in there ?

Santiago
Grafter

Support Tickets: Hello is there any body in there ?

I wonder if there is any point in wasting time and resource raising a support ticket?
Two examples
Number one
I raised a query on broadband phone on the forum about voip voice mail and Phil Richardson asked me to raise a ticket. I did this on 22 July ID: 25734105. Since then I have had 18 replies to the ticket that I was asked to raise.
The final response was
######## CSC Analyst  2:19pm, Wednesday 6th August 2008
Dear Mr Customer
Our suppler is not sure why this is not a blank wav file as the are unable to replicate this issue.
Kind regards,
########

I then closed the question. Waste of time!
Number two
Today I tried to sign into the Postini quarantine for the first time and could not do so.
So I raised a support ticket for help and advice. ID 25918089
I gave clear details of what I wanted to do and what my question was. I included quotes from the relevant page "Spam Protection Guide" that I did not understand.
This is what I got back
Dear Mr Customer
Thanks for your query,
It seems that you don't have the postini Quarantine option enable on your emails spam settings.
in order to enable this feature, please follow the link bellow
https://www.plus.net/support/security/spam/spam_protection_guide.shtml
Kind regards,
CSC Person

So I have been asked to go to the page I had just quoted from and that I didn't understand. Waste of time!
I have also made three telephone calls to CS about speed/sync issues and on each occasion been given different advice.
So I have three problems with my broadband provider Force 9.
1 viop voicemail
2 Postini quarantine log in
2 speed sync problems
I have asked for help on each one and Force 9  have not helped me at all.
So what is the point. Do these ticket go to India or some other remote location or indeed to some parallel universe as previously suggested.

8 REPLIES 8
puddy
Grafter

Re: Support Tickets: Hello is there any body in there ?

They must got a bonus every time they replie to a ticket they dont seem  able to understand what customer as written and they stop reading 1/4 of the way down of the page
Puddy
Emma
Grafter

It can be difficult from my experience to fully read everything from top to bottom if the ticket has been passed backwards and forwards several times, however this is not an excuse to offer poor support. In many cases an outbound phone call to the customer can solve most issues as explaining some aspects of broadband/email/domains can be confusing and hard to discribe correctly.
The CSC tend to try for a first time fix, so the first response should be indepth, offering answers to all the questions and then answers to other questions that may not have been asked but would then be once the response had been read by the customer.
Am sure someone on Comms will pick this up shorly and sort out any problems you are having with all the of previously mentioned issues. Some of those questions could be answered here, maybe you should explain whats happening on each point and someone here might already know the answer.
Santiago
Grafter

The viop issue was raised in here first and I was asked to raise a ticket on it
I have now had the postini ticket replied to with the answer to the problem. It wasn't a first time fix but a third time fix.
I have given up on the speed and ip profile one.
Not applicable

The support centre is in Sheffield, not India (or anywhere else for that matter).
Not that it helps you at all, but you did ask. Wink
Santiago
Grafter

Thank you James,
My point is that as the support centre is in Sheffield therefore language should not be a problem as opposed to dealing with call centres where language is often a problem.
I note there are quite a few people on here grumbling about the support from PlusNet.

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

In some ways it is very easy to grumble about the official Customer Support Centre when one considers the quality and timeliness of advice available from unofficial means such as these Forums (or Fora, whichever is correct).
However, in my experience, responses in both cases can sometimes be considered to only answer half the question, not to have read/understood the problem, etc.
As with many  helplines. support centres, etc., the effectiveness of the CSC is likely to be monitored in terms of performance indicators, and as an official service there should be a greater emphasis on the accuracy of advice, requiring a fully considered response rather than a quick fix 'why not try this' approach. But not everyone who is reporting a problem is necessarily communicating that effectively which is why, in order to be systematic and thorough, sometimes the responses from CSC are criticised for being formulaic.
Given the complexity of the technologies, the variety of products and equipment, broad spectrum of users' requirements and knowledge, it is not surprising that CSC staff don't always perform as expected. My experience with using the official support systems is that they have dealt very effectively with the problems I have reported.
My other car isn't a Ferrari
Not applicable

Quote from: maranello
[snip]...as these Forums (or Fora, whichever is correct).[snip]...

According to the Oxford English Dictionary...
forum n. (pl. forums)
1) a meeting or medium for an exchange of views.
2) (pl. fora) (in an ancient Roman city) a public square or marketplace used for judicial and other business. Origin ME: from Latin, lit. what is out of doors.
So, 'forums' according to OED. Collins is more relaxed about the two though and uses them interchangebly.
My preference is forums, but its just a personal preference - either could be demonstrated to be correct or incorrect if one had the mind to be argumentative I suspect. Grin
Some may also argue that this site is a single forum, with lots of different conversations going on in lots of different areas about lots of different things. (Just to add a further dimension to the question!)
maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Thanks James, always happy to be corrected and educated.
My other car isn't a Ferrari