cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super slow internet

ragingpolo
Hooked

Super slow internet

This has been happening a while now and has usually been sorted with restarting the router but tonight it hasn't. I'm getting rubbish speeds, between 0.5 and 5 Mbps down, and fairly high ping, as seen by https://www.speedtest.net/result/8298407654 I'd love to have fibre but the rollout missed 8 properties on this 100+ property road, right next to the town centre, so I'm a little bit miffed! I would be very grateful if this could be investigated, please Smiley
2 REPLIES 2
Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Re: Super slow internet

Hi @ragingpolo, welcome to the forums.

I'm sorry to hear about the situation in your area with the fibre rollout. Fingers crossed that work continues to bring you into line with the others on your road. I know what it's like from personal experience where an area of my road was missed during an upgrade. If your road is large, it may be that the last few houses 'missed' were served from a different cabinet and potentially a different work stack/allocation to happen at another time. Based on your estimates and line length, I'd certainly say an upgrade is possible for you though.

In terms of your line as it stands now, I've run a test this morning and everything looks to be performing will within expectations. Your estimated line speeds are 17-21Mbps and you are actually in sync over these estimates, currently running at 23mbps.

However, you speedtest results show you are getting far from this.

Just out of interest, do you only experience this problem on a wireless connection or do you have similar problems with a hard wired connection (Ethernet)?

If you only experience these problems on a wireless, but it's fine on a wired connection, this could point to wireless interference or similar. It might be worth taking a look at our wireless troubleshooting guide.

I hope this helps, but please let us know how you get on and feel free to get back in touch if there's any further problems.

ragingpolo
Hooked

Re: Super slow internet

Hi @Optimatts,

Thanks for reaching out and sorry for the late reply (been a hectic couple of weeks).

The houses that were missed are the first few on the road and are connected directly to the exchange which is about 1000 feet further away from us than the cabinet that got installed just down the street. I'd love for us to be upgraded if there was any possibility, I've reached out to Plusnet, BT, Openreach, Fastershire, and my local council, with no progress. Previously from Plusnet, I was told that I'd have to go through BT as the provide the line, then BT they wouldn't do anything as I'm not a customer with them (understandable). Open reach said I'd have to go through my ISP. Fastershire found that the few houses had been "missed out" as on their website it said that I should be able to get the faster speeds. My local council sent an email to BT but I haven't had any response.

So, I think I've pretty much exhausted all potential avenues at the moment and will probably have to either wait ages for it to happen, or move house.

Anyway, vent over, to answer your point about connection, it seems to be holding out for now - usually tanks on download when anything is being uploaded though..

The issues occur even on an ethernet connection, straight into the router.

Thanks again!