Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super random connection speeds

AdamR
Dabbler

Super random connection speeds

Hi Guys,
Been having an issue with speeds since we joined PlusNet, but getting worse recently.  Jameseh has very kindly opened support ticket which is still on going.
My line sync rate is currently set at around 3350kbps, with my line profile at 2500kbps.  The fastest speed i've seen on the BT speedtester is 1800kpbs, the lowest...... 14!!!
Downloads during the day currently average around 14kb/s from firefox, and similar from Torrents.  However, after midnight these speeds drop to around 5kb/s. which is what i find the weirdest, considering this is when it should be faster.
I'm fine on getting the speeds fixed, i was just wondering if anyone had any ideas why it would be slower after midnight?!
Thanks,
Adam
P.s. I'm getting fed up of having to buffer youtube vids before i watch them!!!  Embarrassed
50 REPLIES 50
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Super random connection speeds

Are you using wireless and do you have any near neighbours?
Alternatively, do you have any electrical interference which kicks in late at night?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

AdamR
Dabbler

On wireless but this is our 3rd router in our 2nd different phone socket.  Eliminated interference etc....
Just as i made my last post my DL shot up to 100kbps with a decent browsing speed also, now it is down to 60kbps but browsing is so slow.  Seems my speed is going up and down at random.
AdamR
Dabbler

Some stats for you.
Router is now plugged in to test socket behind bt master socket:

Physical Connectivity OK
DSL Connection
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:11:18
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 7,488
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 11.5 / 21.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 22.0 / 12.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 12 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

And bt speedtester results:
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 7488 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 3000 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 10 kbps

Note, this is the first time i've ever seen 7488kbps connection rate, or anywhere near it for that matter.  Usually around 1600.
Ideas, thoughts?
Cheers
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Is your router normally plugged in to the master socket?
Do you have extension sockets? Is everything plugged in to the extension sockets filtered?
When you use the test socket all of the extension wiring is disconnected, so getting a far better sync when you use the test socket indicates the problem is inside your house. If you have everything inside the house filtered either there is a problem with the extension wiring or possibly one of the filters is duff.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

The general concensus is to ignore the IP Throughput figure from the BT Speedtest as its rarely accurate.
You need to concentrate initially on the DSL connect rate ( synch rate ), the IP profile will follow that ( eventually! ) and then your throughput will improve.
As Jelv says , you appear to have some problems with your internal wiring/connections/filters , the difference in Synch rate between the 3350 you were getting and the 7488 at the test socket is HUGE and indicates serious problems.
Take a look at some of the other threads in this forum for some background information and then post back with the information requested by Jelv.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Alternatively it may be an intermittent external line problem giving lots of noise when it happens and hence a lower sync. Have a listen to your phone line. Can you hear or have you recently heard any crackling or other intermittent noises? You may have to check on this many times if you do have an intermittent problem and do so at the test socket with a corded phone if you do hear things.
You should still carry out all the checks etc sugested by jelv
AdamR
Dabbler

The router initially was plugged into a socket upstairs (so we have wireless coverage for the entire house).  When i raise a fault with PN it was moved to the master socket.  Stability when in the master socket has been good - not dropped once AFAIK, so supprised that the sync speed increased when i plugged into test socket.  Also, i have tried the connection without anything (phones included) else plugged in with no appreciable increase in speed/stability.  I've also had no interference on the line when using the phone.
Our 2mb fixed connection with orange was stable (and quicker) that we had before moving to PN
I understand the sync rate is more important at the moment but i really cant fathom why all my downloads, including torrents are quicker at peak times than off peak?!
I really appreciate the time you're taking to help.
Thanks guys.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Do you have torrents configured to only share content you have downloaded during off-peak? If so have you set a limit on the upload speed? If too many people are seeding from you it will knacker your own download speed.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Bell wire John?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Bell wire John?

That would be my favorite culprit Smiley

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

AdamR
Dabbler

Torrent uploads limited to 12kbps because i'm stingy.  I try it at my girlfriends house during the day and get around 500kbps with 12k upload.  Then i go home and peak rate i get about 25/12 and off peak 5/2.  Same client, same settings, i've made sure there right port is open etc....
Seems very odd.  Anyway at the moment torrents are secondary.... just want to get browsing speed up!  Cry
You reckon the bell wire is interfering?  No-one rings my bell! *Cough*  Cool
jelv
Seasoned Hero

When you said speeds were no better when you plugged in to the master (before you tried the test socket), was that speed test results or sync speed?
If you noticed a significant jump in sync speed when you went from master socket to test socket then I agree, bell (ring) wire is the most obvious culprit and should be eliminated first.
See http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm
AdamR
Dabbler

Ah ok, that makes more sense! I thought you meant doorbell.  Crazy  Will remove the ring wire this evening.
There was no change going from Upstairs socket to master, but from master to test was (as you saw) double the sync speed.  The throughput/download speeds have been the same for every socket.
AdamR
Dabbler

Ok guys, some bad news with your bell wire theory - it's not attached and afaik it never has been!
Also, checked the router tonight when i came home.  It's syncing at 448/4000, still slow, and i have 145,000 FEC errors.
What's a FEC? Does it mean anything?
Thanks