cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super Slow Speed

Robert88
Grafter

Super Slow Speed

Posting here because my Broadband has become so slow chat won;t even connect and I can never actually get through to anyone via calling Speed has dropped from 6-7Mbps to 280Kbps (or less) and has been like this for a couple of days not sure if the line has been banded again which is what caused this last time - Phone line is crystal clear - Resetting the Router does nothing (it fixed it the last time this happened though) - Master socket makes no change Currently I'm leaving the router connected and online for as long as I can to see if it is a banding issue but here are the current stats from the router 8. Noise margin: 6.8 / 36.5 9. Line attenuation: 19.8 / 39.3 10. Signal attenuation: 19.8 / 33.5 Any help would be appreciated# Thanks
13 REPLIES 13
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Super Slow Speed

Hi there, 

I've just been looking into this, testing isn't showing any obvious issues but I can see from our connection logs that there's been some repeat disconnections. 

image15562843914999

The best thing to do next would be following the troubleshooting checks outlined here: https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/ if they don't help to resolve the issue you can then report a fault with us at http://faults.plus.net

Please let us know how you get on. 

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Link fixed.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Robert88
Grafter

I'll give them a go if I can but the internet is now so bad that It won't even load up either of those links properly, just a time out error 90% of the time and unresponsive links the rest

Robert88
Grafter

Also its only affecting the Download speed, the upload speed is unchanged

280Kbps / 1.07 Mbps

8. Noise margin: 7.2 / 38.3
9. Line attenuation: 19.8 / 39.2
10. Signal attenuation: 19.8 / 33.0
Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @Robert88

Let us know how it goes please once you've done the checks.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
Robert88
Grafter

Gone through all the fault checks and nothing seems to have changed

My guess is that the line has been banded again as it's happened before, so I'll leave it connected for a couple of days now and see if that fixes it, it's just odd this happened with very few connection losses prior to this (recent connection losses have been me resetting / testing other equipment)

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @Robert88

Checking the connection from this side I can see the automated line management has banded your download speed. I have now reset the line for you to removing the banding while you are plugged in to the test socket. As you have mentioned, please let us know how it goes after a couple of days.

Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@Robert88 I have just one observation - your d/s noise margin is horrendous - something is wrong there. Until that cause is found and eliminated, you will never see a stable usable speed.

John
Robert88
Grafter

I don't know what you did but the speed just went up to 10Mbps within the last hour which blew past the old 6-7Mbps I usually get and is holding steady (I'm pretty sure the estimate for the area is 1-2Mbps)

Thank You

jab1
Legend

@Robert88  I'm curious, too.Smiley

Can you post your current router details?

John
Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi there @Robert88,

@Beyhive performed a SNR reset. Essentially resetting your line and bringing the noise managing levels back to normal.

I would advise to keep an eye on the connection. Resets like this can appear to resolve the problem and sometimes they do. DLM might just need kicking into gear if there's a slight change to the signal.

However if there is a physical reason causing the noise tolerance to spike to high then the reset will only be temporary. Like putting some tape over a puncture. It might not actually 'resolve' the problem.

I would recommend seeing how it goes for the next 72 hours. If you notice your speed becomes low and your drops continue then I would recommend doing the troubleshooting checks HERE if you haven't already and then raise a fault HERE.

If you do raise a fault, please let us know on the forums and we can progress it.

Robert88
Grafter

@jab1

8. Noise margin: 7.2 / 38.3
10. Signal attenuation: 19.8 / 33.0

8. Noise margin: 5.2 / 4.2
10. Signal attenuation: 19.8 / 37.6

Current stats compared to 6 hours ago still fine

Thanks again

jab1
Legend

@Robert88 Thanks. I wonder what was causing that massive SNR?

Agree with @Optimatts - there is probably an underlying problem somewhere.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Lines do not become banded for no good reason. There is some chance of an intermittent fault here or REIN; it will be interesting to see if the condition returns.

@Optimatts - welcome to the forums - a great explanation. Let’s hope that this puncture patch does not come off!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.