cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions forum?

David_W
Rising Star

Suggestions forum?

Force9 had a suggestions forum, but I can't seem to find one here. 
Anyhow, my idea/suggestion.  The internet is full of really nasty stuff, viruses, trojans, keyloggers, etc.
So, how about PN does a deal with Kaspersky, PN says to Kaspersky "we have about a couple of thousand possible customers, give us a really good deal per licence".  I got Internet Security for about a tenner from Aria, so if PN can get it from Kaspersky for £10 per licence, you can add it on as an optional extra per customer for £1 per month (minimum 12 month naturally).
With this, PN's customers get hold of a top notch firewall/antivirus/ad blocker/spam filter for email etc.. for £1 per month, and if PN can get it for £10 per year, PN make £2 per year per customer.
With ISP's constantly trying to find ways to improve their cash flow, adding such a valuable service to their customer base, whilst making a profit, should be a pretty good idea?  And of course, to keep costs down, the software could be customised so that the updates are downloaded from PN's servers instead of Kasperskys (I say Kaspersky because its generally the better package out there, unlike Norton for instance)
15 REPLIES 15
artificer
Grafter

Re: Suggestions forum?

i don't need anti-virus.  i run linux.
David_W
Rising Star

I also run Linux, Suse 11.0 currently, but the vast majority of people run Windows, as indeed do I.  Mind you, just saying "I run Linux" doesn't remove the possibility of getting a virus, OSX is built on top of BSD and viruses are popping up for that now.
artificer
Grafter

bsd is not linux and who knows what apple did to make it vulnerable to viruses?
of the 40 known viruses targetted at linux, not one of them will replicate.
Not applicable

Excellent idea dgwebb. I use free security software but I can see that there might well be a market for this, particularly as Kaspersky seems to have a good name.
BTW, why are Linux users always so smug about viruses? I am no expert, but now that more people are using this OS might it only be a matter of time before it becomes a target too? From what I understand, even Mac users are now having to install antivirus software.
Not applicable

Poppy - just ignore them. I usually point out that most spam comes from root-kitted Linux boxes rather than Windows ones. The Linux mob tend to shuffle along quietly then.
Linux may well be less vunerable when its looked after, but many people see statements like 'I have Linux so I'm fine' and decide to give it a go themselves.
Nothing wrong with that idea, but it always needs to be iterated that the statement should read 'I run a properly configured and secured Linux box so I'm fine'
A badly configured Linux box is not much safer than a badly configured Windows one.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Quote from: poppy
I am no expert, but now that more people are using this OS might it only be a matter of time before it becomes a target too?

Yeah one day Linux might even break the 1% market share barrier  Grin
Do like the original idea of the post.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MickKi
Grafter

Quote from: James_H
Poppy - just ignore them. I usually point out that most spam comes from root-kitted Linux boxes rather than Windows ones. The Linux mob tend to shuffle along quietly then.

Really?!  On your LAN may be.  On three mailboxes that I have been monitoring for the last 2 years SPAM (almost exclusively) come from compromised MSWindows boxen in developing countries (China & satellite countries, India, Eastern Europe and South America).  Of course the message headers can be forged and they're not always identifiable, but if you have some publicly recognised statistics (i.e. not Microsoft sponsored FUD) please post a link.
Linux may well be less vunerable when its looked after, but many people see statements like 'I have Linux so I'm fine' and decide to give it a go themselves.

No machine is secure when configured with silly or no passwords and it is running as root.  Yes, even in Linux you cannot always protect people from themselves.
A badly configured Linux box is not much safer than a badly configured Windows one.

Absolutely true.  However, the majority of MSWindows users both in absolute numbers and in percentages are clueless compared to the Linux user base (if I only I had a beer for every MSWindows box that I configured and was asked by its owner to remove the user password . . .)    Roll_eyes
Ianwild
Grafter

Yep - I agree this is something we should be doing. A number of security related products are being investigated currently and we've spoken to Kaspersky at length (although it seems they may not end up being able to meet our requirements at this moment in time).
I really like the idea of a suggestions forum tied to PUGIT by the way. The moderators have some ideas for changes to the forum, and as soon one of us (I think I volunteered) has time to bring that out to the community we will welcome your feedback.
Ian

Not applicable

The Linux user base may well be more knowledgable than we lesser mortals who use Microsoft Windows  but surely this is even more reason not to make statements like the one above?
Yes, some folk do not know much about computers but I would prefer to say that they are vulnerable where computers are concerned and therefore easily mislead and lulled into a false sense of security by comments such as this one.  
As James said, I would gladly ignore such statements but this sort of thing regularly crops up in various situations and I do think that Linux users should be a bit less superior and more responsible.
BTW is it really necessary to pepper every post with quotes? I thought that the overuse of these was against forum rules.
Back to the subject of the original thread - if various products are being looked at, I would vote for AVG.
Not applicable

Quote from: MickKi

Really?!  On your LAN may be.  On three mailboxes that I have been monitoring for the last 2 years SPAM (almost exclusively) come from compromised MSWindows boxen in developing countries (China & satellite countries, India, Eastern Europe and South America).  Of course the message headers can be forged and they're not always identifiable, but if you have some publicly recognised statistics (i.e. not Microsoft sponsored FUD) please post a link.

My most humble apologies - on pulling out my source I am reminded that it was referring to Linux servers being the home of many Phishing sites, rather than spam sources.
The source is our favorite online tabloidesque tech 'paper', their source is Dave Cullinane CISO (Chief Information Security Officer) at Washington Mutual.
Warning, selective quote coming up:
More interesting is that most of the compromised machines were not Windows machines. "The vast majority of [the phishing sites] we saw were on rootkit-ed Linux boxes, which was rather startling. We expected a predominance of Microsoft boxes and that wasn't the case."

The rest of the article is here  Embarrassed
puddy
Grafter

Anybody out their use Panda Internet Security 2008?
I have used it for over 5 years and never had a virus, my friend used Kaspersky and sent me an infected e-mail and to other friends who use Norton and both of them got infected but panda picked it up. 
Panda update virus,s second by second and are never closed if you need to call them unlike Norton who close at weekends get a problem 6pm friday you have to wait until monday morning.
You can buy Panda from amazon for £10 and you get a licence for up to 3 computers.
Panda direct sell it for £40 not sure how amazon can sell it for less

puddy
geewizz
Grafter

I've been online with 2 PCs for over 7 years and have never had any anti-virus software installed for any more than a couple of days. (I have never found one that doesn't prove  to be invasive.)  I do regular virus checks. To claim that a particular anti-virus package is good because you have never had a virus is a bit like saying that a rain dance worked because it started raining while you were doing it.
gswindale
Grafter

Quote from: geewizz
I've been online with 2 PCs for over 7 years and have never had any anti-virus software installed for any more than a couple of days.

Quote from: geewizz
I do regular virus checks.

How if you've not got the software installed?
I'd rather have software installed permanently than having to install it, update it, run my scan and then uninstall it.
The only issue I see with a PN sponsored deal with any AV supplier is what happens if the user does pick up a virus?  Could PN be in anway held liable for any damage caused?
MickKi
Grafter

The Linux user base may well be more knowledgable than we lesser mortals who use Microsoft Windows  but surely this is even more reason not to make statements like the one above?

Apologies, I did not mean to sound disrespectful to any MSWindows users who might be technically less savvy than your average Linux user.  What I was trying to illustrate is that the two populations of users are dissimilar in specific ways and this should be taken into account when one tries to draw meaningful comparisons.  The point made by James_H that badly configured machines (irrespective of their OS) are susceptible to abuse is sound and true.
BTW is it really necessary to pepper every post with quotes? I thought that the overuse of these was against forum rules.

Fine, but then answers to specific points get easily lost and in complex discussions can be confused.  I won't use any more framed quotes from previous posts - let's see if I can keep it coherent . . . 
  @James_H:  If you read some of the responses to the article you mentioned, you will be well entertained.  Grin  However, what you *should* definitely read is this report from which I quote:
". . . and while the company is not releasing the results of this analysis, it did uncover a huge number of hacked, botnet computers, said Dave Cullinane, eBay's chief information and security officer, speaking at a Microsoft-sponsored security symposium at Santa Clara University." [emphasis mine]
I might as well have guessed, errm . . . hold on!  I did guess!!  Tongue
Anyway, I digress.  Back to the topic of antivirus products:  I have always had good success with Nod32 by Eset software and when I used to monitor MSWindows viruses more regularly, Nod32 was scoring significantly higher marks than the majority of other products on the market in Virus Bulletin tests.
Anyway, I will support any product which will reduce pw0ned botnets out there and the amount of SPAM that is spewed out by them.
PS.  Do PlusNet Linux users get a discount?  Kiss