Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestion: Is it possible to have a forum of problems and suggested fixes

dougrice
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Suggestion: Is it possible to have a forum of problems and suggested fixes

Is it possible to have a cookbook/wiki /FAQ list of suggested solutions to broadband speed problems?
My speed has been much better since I fixed my bell wire. See:
http://www.dougrice.plus.com/Erlangs/adsl.htm
My local DIY sheds and high street electronic components shops do not seem to sell a solution that would have fixed my fault.
I think I need a filtered faceplate that extends the Bell wire filtered to filter off the ADSL signals.

Currently a leading high street electronic components shop is only selling Microfilters that pass the bell wire straight through, so the bell wire must be extended from the master socket.
However, they are not selling filtered NTE5 faceplates that filter the bell wire and telephony and extend the ADSL unfiltered, and a wiring diagram to explain how to wire the house, using old existing wiring.
With an unfiltered NTE5 faceplate, my bellwire was extended unfiltered to the rest of the house and the Microfilters were not as effective.
The current microfilters on sale must have a bell wire, as they feed it straight though. They do not include a bell capacitor on the filtered side of the B wire. Without this, the  extension phones may not ring. ( Apparently, some new phones are not using the bell wire for their bell. )
I think Solwise sell a filter that extends filered telephony and filter belwire on the 2,5 and 3 and unfiltered on 1,6, so with a faceplate with ADSL and Phone sockets you can wire the house successfully.
Apparently, a friend rang up BT and blagged them to send him a filtered face plate for his line.
My BT speed tests are still holding up.
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 4500 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  5664 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 4213 kbps
If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.
8 REPLIES 8
James
Grafter

Re: Suggestion: Is it possible to have a forum of problems and suggested fixes

Hi Doug,
Others will have more knowledge of filtered faceplates than I do, but I was wondering if you were aware about my blog post about speed problems?  It's in my signature and is hopefully pretty comprehensive.
dougrice
Rising Star

James,
Many thanks. Something prompted me to try and ring 150 and 151 to try and obtain a filtered faceplate. I tried buyingone from Maplin last Saturday.
After being put in a 13 minute queue, parked onto dial tone and connected to billing and many other people who could not help.
I got the shunt from broadband to faults to sales and back again!
The long and the short of it is, as my broadband supplier, Ofcom rules seem to suggest that you have to ask BT Openreach on my behalf:
Could you get me a quote for an NTE5a with an inductor off Openreach, to fit myself?
Could you get me a quote for an engineer to come and fit one?
As I was driving home, I noticed an Openreach van parked up and I spoke to the owner. I explained my desire for a filtered face plate.
He said he had an NTE5a, and  I could have one. I am afraid I mention my bell wire experience to him in a polite way, and he was very helpful and interested in my feedback.
I have discovered that it has an inductor in series with the bell wire which is just what I want!
So BT Openreach are now fitting a faceplate that filters the bell wire. It will work with the micro filters currently available from Maplin and B&Q.
The leaflet that came with it clearly stated "This linebox is the property of British Telecom and contains components which ensure the correct working of your line"!
Many  thanks,
Doug
dougrice
Rising Star

James,
Thanks for your blog. I have just read it.
This is not an easy subject, and there are a number of complicated reasons to faults to unravel!
This forum has plenty of different faults, all with limited selected information. I am fed up with requesting help and getting a response "Oh I am not technical"
I hope my web page has been useful. I have had quite a few thanks! It has helped fix at least 4 people's problems.
Many thanks and press on!
Doug
James
Grafter

Hi Doug,
That sounds like a pretty decent outcome.  Should I take it that they are also not charging you for the faceplate work that they are doing?
dougrice
Rising Star

James,
BT Openreach are not doing any work on my face plate.
I knocked on the window of a parked up Openreach Van and begged a master socket, off the driver.
This is hardly the 'official' root, but is a pragmatic solution.
I will fit the face plate myself. I was supprised to find it had the inductor that filters the bell wire. This "disconnects" the bell wire at high frequencies that affected my ADSL!
For the record. Howmuch would BT Openreach charge for a self fit?
How much would they charge for an engineer visit?
Dialling 151 just reports that there is no fault found on the line test, yet there was a need for an upgrade to support MaxDSL. Even disconnecting the bell wire and using existing micro filters is an upgrade!
Dialling 150 only resulted in getting put through to BT's Broadband sales.
Will you sell me a face plate as my broadband supplier? BT will not sell me one for my Phone line.
If not please feed back my concern to Ofcom. There is clearly a problem with the competition laws.
James
Grafter

My short answer would be an absolute fortune Smiley
It would probably be call out plus work and treated as an installation of a new NTE5.  Mand would know better than I, but £125 would not surprise me.
molley

Quote from: Jameseh
My short answer would be an absolute fortune Smiley
It would probably be call out plus work and treated as an installation of a new NTE5.  Mand would know better than I, but £125 would not surprise me.

I was quoted £169 ( I think) for checking a fauly via a ticket about speed problems if they didn't find it was a BT problem so it's probably in that region .
Faceplates can be bought from http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters.htm
dougrice
Rising Star

I finally got through to 151 and got past the point when the phone is put down when  mention broadband as broadband faults can only be fixed via my broadband supplier.
I explictly asked for a quote for an NTE 5A to be fitted to replace my master socket which needs an upgrade to support ADSL.
I was told about £115 call out + about £98 per hour.
I was told that if there was a fault found that affected my phone, it could be free and was up to the engineer to decide.
My fault affects my broadband.
Its Russian roulette with £150.
The NTE5A I begged  off an Openreach van parked up at the end on my road had an inductor in the B-wire on the face plate. This would have fixed my problem.
I have yet to try it as my ADSL is still working with the bell wire disconnected and my solwise micro filters.
When you plug into the master socket, you have to unplug the faceplate which also has the extension wiring connected to it.
You have to plug into the socket that the faceplate plugs into.
If you plug into the master socket faceplate, then you may still have the extension wiring connected, with the bell wire unbalancing the ADSL signal on the A&B wire.