Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suddenly started losing my wireless connection

Buggwrit
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Suddenly started losing my wireless connection

Within the last couple of weeks I've suddenly started to experience random loss of the connection to the router. When this happens I either have to reboot the PC or go into the wireless config utility, re-enter the WPA-PSK key and re-connect.
To begin with I thought the router had developed a problem but now I'm not so sure. The problem normally occurs as the browser requests a page. I noticed it particularly when viewing a webcam as the page refreshes regularly. However it's also happened when my Avast anti-virus tries to connect to the Avast server so it doesn't seem to be browser-related. It's also happened whilst listening to streamed audio (my line speed's not quite good enough for reliable video).
My router is a Technicolor TG582n. The wireless adapter is an Edimax EW-7711In complying with IEEE802.11n. The signal strength indication is always 4 to 5 bars (out of 5). Connection status always Normal to Good.
Nothing major has changed recently although I have received notifications for updates to Flash Player, Java and Firefox which I've installed. I can't say that this problem has coincided with any of these though. I think the Java update was the most recent.
I've tried uninstalling the Edimax software using Revo Uninstaller then re-installing but this hasn't improved things. If anyone has any suggestions I'd be most grateful.
11 REPLIES 11
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

Re: Suddenly started losing my wireless connection

Install inSSIDer and check for interference from nearby wireless networks, and change the channel accordingly.
Buggwrit
Rising Star

Ok. Thanks Brian. inSSIDer showed another network on the same channel, albeit a lot weaker, so I've changed it. Fingers crossed.  Smiley
Buggwrit
Rising Star

This problem has now revealed another aspect, namely that I'm having to go into the Edimax wireless configuration utility, manually re-enter the key and connect every time I boot up the PC.
I've been on holiday so don't yet know if changing the channel has resolved the loss of connection.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

You could try updating the driver for the Edimax adapter if there is a newer one.
In general I recommend not using manufacturer specific wireless configuration utilities, just use Windows' built-in wireless configuration.
Buggwrit
Rising Star

The Edimax utility has been working fine for at least a couple of years so something must have changed recently. Maybe a recent System update has exposed an incompatibility in the driver. There is a much more recent driver available but it is marked as a beta and there doesn't appear to be a fully tested release in the list. I'm a bit reluctant to try a beta release so I think I'll try switching to the Windows config and see how that goes.
Edit: .... except that I can't seem to find a way of doing that. I've looked in Network & Sharing Centre and Internet Options but no obvious way forward. Under "Manage wireless networks" it shows the network as 'Automatically connect.'
ejs
Aspiring Hero

There might also be an option in the Edimax utility to use Windows to manage the connection.
Buggwrit
Rising Star

I'd also looked in there and couldn't find anything.
Looks like it might have to be the beta after all. Undecided
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

My client with an Edimax EW-7711UMn had a similar problem with intermittent loss of his wireless connection (although his other wireless device kept functioning).  I took it home a tried it for a few days but experienced the same problem so I concluded it was faulty.  I was running Windows 7 so did not install the Edimax configuration utility (which is not necessary for Windows 7 or Vista).  I've generally found Edimax wireless adaptors to work well but this one failed just after a year in use. 
Buggwrit
Rising Star

I must admit I hadn't considered the possibility that it might be a hardware fault. It will be interesting to see if changing the channel number has had any effect. Meanwhile, however, there does seem to be some software issue as it doesn't automatically connect any more. I noticed while it was booting up this morning that it connects briefly then disconnects. This time I used Windows Network and Sharing Center to reconnect instead of the Edimax utility so I'll be interested to see if that makes any difference next time.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I've used and had problems with an Edimax wifi adapter myselfand the software was the only thing that caused any issues, using the native connection manager in Win7 got everything going.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Buggwrit
Rising Star

Well, so far so good. Since connecting using Network and Sharing Center it now connects automatically at boot-up and since changing the channel number I haven't experienced any more loss of connection. Fingers crossed.....