Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suddenly lost connection to the router

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Suddenly lost connection to the router

This is an odd one.
Without any warning my Windows 7 64bit computer lost its connection to the router DG834G v4 (the other XP machine carried on as normal - SWMBO was actually watching iPlayer )
Nothing showed up in the device manager and Windows couldn't fix it - no surprise there then
Rebooting the computer didn't help - it still couldn't see the router even though the relevant port on the router was showing green but with no traffic passing (it wasn't blinking)
Changing ports on the router didn't help
A router reboot fixed it.
Does this sound as though the router is on its way out or is it just one of those funny things which happens occasionally
A thought - would a cable fault cause this as I haven't got a spare cable or a wireless adapter which works with Win 7 - so should I buy a new cable just in case (needs to be about 10 metres long and I don't have anything anywhere near that long in my box of bits)
2 REPLIES 2
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Suddenly lost connection to the router

Quote from: Oldjim
Without any warning my Windows 7 64bit computer lost its connection to the router DG834G v4 …
A router reboot fixed it.
Does this sound as though the router is on its way out or is it just one of those funny things which happens occasionally
A thought - would a cable fault cause this …

I suspect all of those are possible. Maybe assume "it's just one of those funny thing" until it becomes a frequent occurrence. Don't suppose you tried ipconfig  /all to see if the computer still had an IP address when the connection failed? And, by logging in from the laptop, whether the router still had one assigned for it?
David
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Suddenly lost connection to the router

It didn't have an IP address according to the Windows troubleshooter