Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suddenly broadband very slow

FIXED
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Suddenly broadband very slow

@IanSn - were your speed tests done via Wi-fi or a wired connection to the router?

If via Wi-fi, living in a block of flats could mean you are using what has become a congested channel and would benefit from trying a different channel.

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

Getting back to basics the true speed test is the sync speed  You find this by entering (usually!)

192.168.1.54 into you browser address bar where the status page will show your connection rates.

The actual download speed will, as you know , be subject to other variables and a wifi speed check may show as the speed between the device and the router to add to the complications.

Do regular sync test to establish a base and see where one goes from there.

The Openreach Broadband checker page will give you consistent information about your connection too.

IanSn
Rising Star

@TeeGee Just quick to say thanks

Yes, its these two things (192.168.1.54 and the broadband check) that are giving me curious problems that I can't figure out at the moment.

192 timing out. Dead 'submit' button on Broadband checker....  😶

I'm getting back to all this later this evening.

@JayG

Same on wired and wireless.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Actually, the address is http://192.168.1.254

(almost certainly a typo by @TeeGee)

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

@Browni wrote:

(almost certainly a typo by @TeeGee)

Apologies! Typos far too frequent at my age.

Fortunately the broadband checker needs little more than a phone number.

IanSn
Rising Star

Should've known this... My excuse is its been a while! (Everything has been working fine for a long time)

Just fired up the Linux instead and above gllitchy issues gone.

Now have the broadband checker page.

Can you tell me what I should be looking at on here to suggest poss probs? There's a lot of data. (some of data attached)

The speed test seems to be fine this evening. But the line has been varying wildly. I'll keep checking during the evening.

thanks, ian

speedtest14jun2022.png

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

The broadband checker shows a really high quality line with lots of choices.

Could I suggest a similar print of router stats with sync speed on it?

IanSn
Rising Star

Good news!

Is this what you're looking for?

7   - Data rate:     944/22191    
8   - Max data rate:     1196/24552
9   - Noise margin:     5.7/5.0    
10 - Line attenuation:     7.7/15.5

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

Those data rates look  very good for ADSL+ 

You could asks Plusnet support for a line test and printout. It is very thorough and may show up hidden problems that are intermittent.

If you want to experiment a used BT Home Hub 6 is cheap on Ebay (mine was a tenner) and can be used on FTTC if you really want to push the boat out. A useful spare too.

IanSn
Rising Star

Thanks, TeeGee

Well, its good to know the data is good.

If the low speed moments continue I'll do as you say and contact PN.

I have a SurfacePro which needs wifi, but also a couple of laptops with ethernet. I'll use these for everything for a while to see how that goes.

Would any local interference also effect ethernet cable?

Getting another router and testing is not likely to happen under the circs at the mo!

Thank you for your help with this, really do appreciate that.

all the best

ian

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @IanSn, thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry for the delay in getting to your post. 

I have ran a test on your line this evening and I'm seeing a sync speed of 3.6mb but the test isn't highlighting what's causing this. 

If not already, I'd advise to get connected into your test socket here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

Can you let me know how that goes? 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
IanSn
Rising Star

Hi Lauren,

thanks for this.

I have one of the oldie sockets (as shown in first pic on the page you linked to). Its the only socket there is, so the router always goes straight into that.

When I produced the data in the thread above I was not using a VPN.

(When you were running these tests I was using a VPN. I'm not sure if that would have made any difference to the tests you did?)

I am supsicious of the VPN I'm currently using. When trying to connect to this forum page just now things were almost at a standstill. I disconnected the VPN and things seemed to speed up. However, I can't say for sure because it goes up and down all the time anyway. I'd need to try this out a few more times. (Can't run speed-test while on VPN, it wont let me!)

Not sure if any of this is useful. Please let me know what I can do next to help!

many thanks

ian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Ian, 

I'm really sorry for the slow speeds.

If you're having issues both on and off the VPN, then the VPN itself may just be a red herring. 

I've been testing your line and the tests have found a potential problem on a line card at the exchange. I've discussed with a colleague from our suppliers complex faults team and he's remotely reset the equipment, but the problem's still showing, so we'd likely need to arrange an engineer to do what's known as a "lift and shift" onto a different card.

But first he's checking the "S-VLAN" infrastructure, which is part of the broadband network at the exchange to make sure there's not an issue there as an engineer we'd call-out wouldn't be able to fix that themselves. 

Regarding the Hub Zero (2704N), given how long you've been with us, I'll be happy to send you a free Hub One, if we need to replace it, but we'll see if it comes to that. I'll check back this afternoon! Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

The S-VLAN checks out fine and isn't congested, which may have explained the speed issues if it was. 

So we can arrange an engineer, would you be available for an engineer to visit you? 

Openreach engineers work weekday timeslots of 8am to 1pm, or 1pm to 6pm. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
IanSn
Rising Star

Thanks Gandalf

Just so there's no confusion I should let you know that I had a call from PlusNet around 10am this morning and an email. Both say they had tested the line and found no problem. I guess this was just a speed test. As a result there is a ticket now open - 225268724.

I was going to do a BT test today but I'll leave that for now.

Don't mind buying a new hub from you anyway, this one has a very poor range.

many thanks, ian